What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing edge wedge countersinking

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Well after a lot of research, I started to countersink my Rudder trailing edge wedge yesterday morning (AEX wedge). I had been struggling with how to reconcile the fact that the hole I drilled through the wedge (and skins) when match drilling was perpendicular to the centerline of the wedge, yet the countersink should be perpendicular to the face of the wedge on each side. If using a pilot cutter in your countersink cage, this will most certaily apply a side load to the little pilot on the countersink cutter. Sure enough, after 10 or so holes, I ended up breaking the pilot off my bit. (#*@&!)

I recalled that on the my practice kit, I countersunk the wedge using a speed deburring tool, which is essentially a countersink cutter with no pilot. Turns out you can create the necessary c'sink with the deburr tool very effectively, if you apply some elbow grease. I then decided to disasseble my c'sink cage and mount the deburring bit in the holder and free hand the process using a drill. If your easy on the trigger and careful (check depth often), you can make great countersinks and my end result was fantastic. I did have to install the wedge into the rudder twice and check for proper nesting of dimples as some needed to go slightly deeper but I was able to finish the job while I wait for a new c'sink cutter to arrive (went with single flute this time).

All this to say, don't be afraid to try something a little different!

i-nJKCdfj-L.jpg

i-Q3Xkws8-L.jpg

Last edited:
RVator

The RVator had a great little tip about cutting an angled groove into a piece of wood that would allow the wedge to sit flat and allow you to get a really nice countersink on a drill press. Look for "Another way to drill the wedgie" Cliff Goldman - 2004 6th

The link to what mine looks like is here. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f5Q7y0LnkvM/VhXZ6i8YltI/AAAAAAAABCY/demebm_ld1M/s1600/IMG_5853.JPG Took me a bit of guess and test on the table saw to get the right angle and depth. But it was a perfect way to countersink them. Drill a pilot hole for your countersink bit and the rest takes care of itself.

P.S. Be sure to countersink enough to get the skins relatively flat to the wedge. I didn't countersink enough had a very tiny gap that I had to fill with proseal/3m epoxy, so if you use that rather than the double sided tape your ahead of the game.

Last edited:
I just hand hold the wedge and the countersink cage/drill motor and go to town. No special tools needed. Works fine.

I use a single flute bit. Be careful with them, they take a huge bite all at once!

Back