What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Trailer at Oshkosh

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I totally missed the RV 12 trailer at Oshkosh, between Vans and Sonex. Rhino Aircraft is the sign on it, does anyone have a website or more infr on this trailer? Looked like some really neat wing carry setups.

Last edited:
Don,

The company name is:

Rhino Aircraft
8646 West Market Street, Suite 114-115
Greensboro, NV 27409

333-668-1140

E-Mail at:

[email protected]

The above information is from their facebook account.

I could find no reference to a web site.

The trailer looked really nice, but it was uncovered.

The wing mounting had a hard point for the wing spar and a cradle for the other end of the wing.

They also build RV-12's to order.

I talked to them for a few minutes and they seemed very nice.

Hope this helps

joe

I guess they are hiding. No Greensboro shows up in Nevada, and area code 333 don't exist. I emailed them.

Zip code 27409 is for Greensboro NC. The keyboard letters C and V are next to each other. Typo?
Joe Gores

Hi Don, I have some pics of the trailer you are talking about. I am interested in trailering in the future as well. I also missed the trailer until my buddy told me about it. If you PM me your email address, i will send them to you. I am a computer dunce and dont know how to resize or post them. Cheers, Marcus.:confused:

hrm. Might have to check them out. I drive by greensboro twice a week. The area code for Greensboro, NC is 336 btw.

That trailer almost escaped me too. One of the guys at the Vans tent pointed it out to me across the road. He said that Van himself was also working on a trailer design for the RV-12, but did not know if he had any intention of pushing it to production, vs just a personal project.

Hi Don, I have some pics of the trailer you are talking about. I am interested in trailering in the future as well. I also missed the trailer until my buddy told me about it. If you PM me your email address, i will send them to you. I am a computer dunce and dont know how to resize or post them. Cheers, Marcus.:confused:
Marcus, if you will send me the photos I will post them here. For the address, click on my webpage link below then scroll to the bottom of the page.

Marcus, if you will send me the photos I will post them here. For the address, click on my webpage link below then scroll to the bottom of the page.

I have sent them Larry! Thanks for your help, Marcus.;)

Here are two I got:

rvwot0.jpg

rvhyck.jpg

Thanks. Looks very good, I am guessing the drawing of the folding wing support did not work out well when they built one? Or the folding wing holder idea came along later. I like the idea of raising the nose wheel to lower the tail height.

Sorry for the typing errors in my post.

The woman at the booth told me that the fold up wing support was an idea that would be included in the next trailer.

Looking at the picture, I do not see the point of the double axle. This tells me that the suspension is probably tuned for a gross weight way over what's needed for the RV-12 with the consequence that it might be too tough for a 1320 pounds load. You do not want that every bump in the road be equivalent to a bad landing :eek:

I talked quite a while with the guy with the trailer. He said it was a first prototype and that the second one would be lighter. The one he had was about 2000 pounds and they were going to try an shave quite a bit off. The manufacturer builds the trailers with the assumption they will have a lot more weight so it was definately overbuilt for the RV-12.

I'd like to see the combined weight of the RV12 + Trailer be in the neighborhood of about 2,000 pounds, I'd like to eventually be able to tow with either of my Jeeps and 2,000 pounds seems to be a good weight for "most" largers cars.

As for the double axle. I think it's a good idea. I have both dual and single axle trailers, and if you blow a tire on the dual axle (although probably prudent) you don't have to immediately stop. My wife has driven one our double axle trailers with a blown tire and never even knew about it. it can also handle potholes a lot better although bumps can double whammied.

Last edited:
Firestone Air-Ride suspension and a much lighter trailer would allow the air ride to respond to the load instead of leaf springs that are set for max load all of the time and will give the poor little 12 a beating.

A single axle with generous tongue weight should tow just fine. I would rather see the wings stored flat under the fuse like in slide out trays. This would reduce damage and wind side loads.

I an earlier thread there were some mentions of adapting a glider trailer. These trailers are fine tuned for light loads and fragile cargos. It would be interesting to know what Dick VanGrunsven is up to on his trailer project but as a glider pilot it would not be surprising if he goes this way.

Very interested

Waiting to see the photos. Does anyone have and details on the trailer? Length, weight, etc? Thanks

I an earlier thread there were some mentions of adapting a glider trailer. These trailers are fine tuned for light loads and fragile cargos. It would be interesting to know what Dick VanGrunsven is up to on his trailer project but as a glider pilot it would not be surprising if he goes this way.

He might could even offer it in kit form. Like, a riveted enclosure, light aluminum construction. You know, sort of like building an airplane. Would also make it easier to ship, not have to drag it clear across the country empty to a customer say, in OK.:)

Marshall Alexander

He might could even offer it in kit form. Like, a riveted enclosure, light aluminum construction. You know, sort of like building an airplane. Would also make it easier to ship, not have to drag it clear across the country empty to a customer say, in OK.:)

Marshall Alexander

... and would be perfect to treat "Builder's postpartum depression" :D

I like that it was setting next to the Sonex booth, which often tries to compare themselves with the RV-12...

Monday AM QB on my part.... But agree that trailer is way overbuilt. Also - you're not loading 1320 lbs. More like less than 900 even if fueled. The 12 is only about 750 lbs. empty.

Tire height

Looking at the picture, I do not see the point of the double axle. This tells me that the suspension is probably tuned for a gross weight way over what's needed for the RV-12 with the consequence that it might be too tough for a 1320 pounds load. You do not want that every bump in the road be equivalent to a bad landing :eek:

The dual wheels have 10 inch tires.

A single axle trailer would have much larger diameter wheels and they would stick up where the wings go. It's also a problem for sailplane trailers if the box portion is wide...:)

If I recall correctly, the heaviest duty 10 inch tire would barely hold the empty trailer at its current weight. I would suppose the tandem 10 inchers are not for ride, but for load capacity.

The dual wheels have 10 inch tires.

A single axle trailer would have much larger diameter wheels and they would stick up where the wings go. It's also a problem for sailplane trailers if the box portion is wide...:)

If I recall correctly, the heaviest duty 10 inch tire would barely hold the empty trailer at its current weight. I would suppose the tandem 10 inchers are not for ride, but for load capacity.

Nah... here's a 10 inch tire rated for over 1500 lbs -

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/205-x...railer-Tire-Load-Range-E_p_859.html&catid=296

Even the load range C ones are good for 1,100 lbs.

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/205-x...railer-Tire-Load-Range-C_p_542.html&catid=296

They would be OK for a two axle trailer...

Again, big wheels make problems in the useable volume above the deck.

Pretty much what I am building, but I like the folding wing racks for an old guy that will have trouble getting them up on fixed racks.

Yeah, I am probably overthinking this. One person handling the wing is a receipe for disaster anyway, and two people can put it on the trailer with ease.

Did anything ever happen with this design?

I'm going to need a trailer for an RV-12 in the near future.

-Dan

trailer

Dan, I have built a trailer for my-12 that works fairly well. It is single axle with slipper springs(2000#) and 13 inch tires. The trailer weighs approx 800# so with the plane it is under 2000# gross. PM your email address and I will send pics.

Trailer

Mark, I will email you some pictures of my trailer later today. I still haven't drawn up the plans for my design, too much fun flying( too lazy is more like it). I did weigh just the trailer a week ago and it is about 1100# so gross is less than 2000#. Probably flown 40 times in 88 hrs HOBBS time transporting on the trailer every time. My wife and I can have the plane assembled and ready to pre-flight in 15 minutes( she is my best assembly helper). Don't know that I would want to tour the country with this setup, an enclosed trailer would be better suited. Anyway, this trailer works very well for my mission and I have no need for a hangar. The local EAA guys call me " the trailer guy" and are more interested in the trailer than the airplane:) .

I need an enclosed trailer for trailering my RV-12 around the country. I found a site that a fellow in Ohio bought a trailer and then set it up to take the RV-12. He bought a custom trailer, 102" wide, internal 98" X 24' X 7' and then built in the necessary brackets, etc. for the wings and for holding the fuselage. Has anyone looked into do that too?

That sounds like a really good idea. I have talked with him and his wife and they seem to be very nice flying folks. Mark

I have moved forward to getting price quotes on an enclosed trailer like the one in Hemlockbucket pics. One bid is from Georgia for about $11K plus tax and one from Phoenix AZ for about $13K plus tax.

Trailer specs are 24' x 8' high x 102" wide exterior; 98" wide interior, with wheel wells covers removable to allow for RV-12 wheel width. Most important is having door ramp be 98" wide.

Does anyone have a manufacturer that can do better than that?

Mark, Sun City West, AZ

Trailer for sale

Yes. I am going to sell it. Your timing is perfect. How did you know I was going to sell it? Thought about it before but now I finally got my light sport license ....at age 70...so don't need it. Was going to keep it until sure I could fly!!
It came with the plane, 6 hrs on plane new 3 years ago. . Trailer new, used once from Vans to WI via Denver.

Elec brakes, elec winch, built in ramps, high sides, v-nose, two axle

Tim

Tim, is your trailer an enclosed unit or open? If enclosed, I would be interested in buying it. Mark Johnson 623-476-2697

Trailer for sale

Mark
It's 26'. 30' including tongue. 2013. Tandem. Width 8'4" Enclosed V from the front and forward Sides 7' 7" and from ground 9.5'. No roof but I had considered asking a local shop to add but so far no need here.
Rear is open last 5' with 2.5 sides. Interior has 8 brackets for wings, adjustable for both height and width. Built in 3 ramp storage. Elec. brakes and winch. Made in Oregon. Has 3 plates in floor for nylon tie down straps for tricycle like my RV12.

Trailer came with the RV just 6 hrs. which I towed from Denver to MKE. Was told It was used once to tow the RV from Vans to an airshow in CA. I towed it 75 mph with SUV.

If you come to EAA stop by the house ... I have some pics but don't know how to post them?. I don't need the trailer ....got license at age 70 last month!!

Tim. 262 five seven 3 5841

Tim, do you have a phone or e-mail contact info. I need to see some pics ASAP to make a decision. It sounds like what I need, but pics are worth a thousand words. my phone is 480-249-6543. I understand you are in Colorado, right?

Mark

Just got back. I'll send a couple pics thru email. I can talk tomorrow most any time. It's Centeal Standard time here.

I'll find your email now

Somewhere on VAF there is a link to photos of this trailer, I have seen it in great detail, could not find it just now though. It is certainly a well engineered unit with much thought of getting it in and out and riding safely. Best I have seen and his price is certainly in line.

Trailer

Good to hear Don. I agree. Excellent trailer. I took a chance....Didn't know anything about trailers for RVs. It tracked perfect at 80mph. Just got mr sport license and plan to stay local. At age 70 I'm not too adventurous flying. Grandchildren are all in TX but I'd never try flying.

I listed the trailer in classifieds and dropped the price to 7k. A lot of interest in it. Somebody will be getting a good deal. I just dont need it.

Tim

RV-12 trailer options

Tim's RV-12 open trailer is listed at half price from new. I checked at the Oregon trailer plant. It is a good deal. In my case, I will be ordering an enclosed trailer for about $18K, including taxes, etc. because I intend to transport it around the 48, landing at every state, so I need to have a secure trailer for lots of off airport travel locations. If you just need to go airport to home, or airport to airport, the open trailer looks good. Just sharing what I learned. Mark

Back