What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage Regulator mounting

jump4way

Well Known Member
I'm trying to decide where to mount my two B&C voltage regulators in my -8. B&C recommends mounting on the cold side of the firewall. I have fuse boxes and planning to install the SDS ECU on the access door. I'm trying to keep the front baggage compartment as clear as possible. Where did you guys mount your voltage regulators? This must be such a simple thing that most of the build sites don't bother showing pictures of their voltage regulator installation. I always seem to struggle on the simplest things.

Twin regulators

were "piggybacked", mounted aft of the inspection/access door I installed between the baggage compartment and the avionics bay. I do not have room on the right side of the instrument panel for full length radio trays, but had decided not to use that part of the panel for avionics. I just wanted some panel space to mount an IPad without covering up gauges.

If I can figure out how to do it, I will post pictures of my installation.

I put mine in the bottom of the forward baggage compartment (right side) and fabricated a "false bottom" to cover it. Only takes up a couple of inches in the bottom of the compartment.

Just a thought here, I was looking at the forward baggage area on my project, and was thinking it would take very little effort to extend the baggage floor (I don't have part #'s at the house, so forgive) across to the baggage door, remove the baggage wall that makes the vertical dogleg of the compartment, I think there are 6 screws, and you now have all that area for electrical. You might be able to squeeze into that area some avionics too. Certainly room on aft side of FW in the right lower corner for volt reg. And since the fwd baggage floor is removable, access for service/inspection will be good. Heck, you could leave the baggage wall in place, add a small vent line for cooling, and you now have a remote avionics bay that is accessible from above.
Like I said, just a thought.

Back