What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust with ECI cold air sump

jump4way

Well Known Member
I'm searching around for experiences with exhaust systems for a parallel valve horizontal induction IO-360 with the ECI cold air sump and haven't turned up much real information.

I know the Vetterman 4-pipe is said to fit. I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with the AWI 4-1 or the Skydynamics 4-1. I've put calls in to both on a couple of occasions and left voice mails with no response back (maybe that should tell me something) so I'm struggling to get much in the way of information.

Any real performance benefits to the 4-1s? Are there any differences in cabin heat output between the 4-1s and the 4 pipe?

I have this setup on my ECI IO-340. Same setup just not parallel valve and 20 ci less. But I have the forward facing cold air induction with Vetterman's 4-pipe exhaust.

Are there performance advantages? Well, I have no first hand hard data to answer that. Given that most auto engines tend to breathe better with "headers" than an exhaust manifold, I do expect I have to be doing somewhat better. As for comparisons with other exhausts, such as the cross over, I do not have any data to offer. Vetterman's 4-pipes are tuned in length for each cylinder so that has to account for something.

Actually, I would suggest dialing Clint up at Vetterman and ask him these questions. Larry and Clint have a great deal of knowledge about this. Clint would be the first one I would go to for this answer. You might even get lucky enough to call on a day when Larry might be around. Talking with Larry is always an enjoyable experience.

As for the cabin heat, I have one heater on the pipe coming off of #4. Granted I don't live in the frozen tundra of the north but I have flown quite a few flights with OAT in the 20 deg or lower range. The heat is satisfactory for short excursions into that temperature range. If I lived in a colder climate I would be inclined to add a second heat muff to my set up.

Hope this helps.

I'm searching around for experiences with exhaust systems for a parallel valve horizontal induction IO-360 with the ECI cold air sump and haven't turned up much real information.

I know the Vetterman 4-pipe is said to fit. I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with the AWI 4-1 or the Skydynamics 4-1. I've put calls in to both on a couple of occasions and left voice mails with no response back (maybe that should tell me something) so I'm struggling to get much in the way of information.

Any real performance benefits to the 4-1s? Are there any differences in cabin heat output between the 4-1s and the 4 pipe?

I have the Superior cold air sump and Vetterman 4 pipe on my parallel valve -360 powered -8. Fits well. Had to customize the throttle/mixture cable attachments. But I'm very happy. No idea on 4-1.

I chose the 4 pipe for reliability and simplicity of installation.

I can't speak to the thermodynamic benefits of the 4-1, but it would make installation of a flow augmenter type cooling/exhaust outlet very easy. That's the only reason I'd go with the 4-1, personally.

Back