What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Wingtip Guidance

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I am trying to mount my wingtips, and ran into something that doesn't seem right to me.

The W-412 tip rib is supposed to be mounted to the W-715-1 wing tip, with the flange facing inboard. The plans call for the flange to be flush with edge of the W-715-1. This would be the leftmost red line in my picture below.

When I cleco the wingtip into position the edge of the tip is where the rightmost red line is, so the two red lines in my picture would be on top of each other. At this point, the W412 flange interferes with the aileron braces and hinge.

Am I supposed to cut down the flange to not go past the yellow lines? Because the plans make no mention of that. Or am I missing something entirely?

35lgi1s.jpg

Ok, I figured out my mistake. I was trying to keep the cutout on the tip too small. But I can't find any guidance on the correct distance to cut the notch in the wingtip (distance between the red and purple lines in the picture below).

When I move the rib outward enough to clear the detents in the wingtip further to the front, it seems if I cut the tip to match the rib at that point to be flush, the gap between the aileron and the tip will be too great.

Is their a specific aileron to tip gap measurement somewhere that I am missing? Is some overhang of the fiberglass over the rib acceptable?

In regards to riveting the tip to the rib: I am using screws for the tip to wing (with Click-bond platenuts) , but no reason to do that for the rib, but can the tip really take getting hit by a riveting gun? Are there any alternatives here? Or special techniques to make sure I don't destroy the tip?

29zyngp.jpg

Back