What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

floorboard covering

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I?m wondering what others have done to protect the area in front of the rudder pedals where the feet are resting. I?m thinking about a kind of teflon foil or a thin stainless steel sheet. Mine is a QB kit so I can?t easily install nutplates to hold a stainless sheet. Any ideas?

after i had carpet down i glued alum. pads on top of the carpet. maybe .o25 or .032. rtv or shoegoo. haven't moved in 150 hrs. worked well.

Rubber/SS sandwhich

In my -4, I glued down a sandwhich of 1/8" Red silicone rubber sheet, covered with .020" stainless. I used red RTV as the adhesive, which gives me a nice scratch resistant surface that heels slide on, as well as sound/heat protection.

On the -8, some builders recommend adding ss sheet to the exhaust exit under the fwd fuseledge. How about skipping it there and doing silicone rubber and ss glued to the floor to kill two birds with one stone, heat protection and a nice piece of ss under the rudder pedals?

I´m wondering what others have done to protect the area in front of the rudder pedals where the feet are resting.

Bare aluminum works fine. The 8's double belly makes carpet and "wear plates" merely decorative. There's no practical reason to add floor protection.

On the -8, some builders recommend adding ss sheet to the exhaust exit under the fwd fuseledge. How about skipping it there and doing silicone rubber and ss glued to the floor to kill two birds with one stone, heat protection and a nice piece of ss under the rudder pedals?

I once knew a guy who liked to wear his rainsuit under his regular clothes. Although his body did not get wet, we still thought he was a bit strange ;)

Allowing the structure to heat and then trying to insulate the cabin is something similar. In any case, the one-piece stainless exterior ramp is not insulation. It's simply way more durable in normal service, and won't evaporate like the aluminum ramp in the event of an engine compartment fire.

Last edited:
Back