What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

roller installation

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am installing the roller in the fuselage that i assume assists sliding the main spar into the fulelage with wing assembly. by the assembly with a bushing in the plastic roller i would think the bolt torques down on the bushing and the plastic roller turns on the bushing. but the bushing is a little too short for this to happen. i don't think this is a big deal but i am curious how others have handled this. i am inclined to shorten the roller a bit so the bushing contacts first. also inclined to talke to vans tomorrow.

Bob, I don't remember having this issue, but it was a long time ago so who knows. Suggest a quick call to Vans before you start modifying parts.

wing roller

When it was time to assemble the rollers, I couldn't find the bushings. The bag that the bushings were supposed to be in contained 2 way too short (1") correct diameter bushings. I had some leftover correct size tubing from earlier kits and fabricated the bushings. I made the length exactly what the plans specified and they worked perfectly. Never called Van's. I am a machinist with my own shop at home where I'm building my -12 . It's easier and quicker for me to make parts like these than get them from Van's a week later. Your mileage may vary :)

so the question is...........can the nut be torqued on the bushing or does that make the roller bind?

The design intent is for the fully torqued bolt to clamp the bushing, with the roller free to turn on the captured bushing.

Back