What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

lovely looking interior.....the A/P is a long reach though!

More like a nice European...maybe british motorcar! :)

Here is a G-900X panel done in the new Aerosport G-900X frame. For anyone considering the Aerosport products, we were impressed with the quality. Very little bodywork is required to get them ready to finish, and they look great.

313.jpg

Done, finally

Sure, the front looks nice, but the real accomplishment is all the wires, air lines, etc. behind the panel are now finally secured.

Last edited:
Panel

Fired up the panel over the weekend. I still have a bunch of work to do, but here's what it looks like:

powered1.jpg

Great looking panel, Mike. I really like your starter button. Really cool, and you are going to love your VP-200.:cool:

Great looking panel! Just wondering what the big (angled up) box on the left is?

Regards,

Lee...

Dwight, looks good, I like what you did in pairing the trim indicators and switches. They look good that way.

What is the unit in the middle ??? Vertical glass screen. And the round alum post above it??

Voyager

Thanks guys! Can't wait to see it lit up.

It is indeed an MGL Odyssey, and the middle unit is a convertible Lenovo tablet/netbook sold by Seattle Avionics to run their Voyager software (last year's model). It's a 7" touch screen, but I will use a trackball to control it as I know from experience touchscreens like this one do not work well in the cockpit. So it's the GPS moving map, weather, and information center of the plane and will get heavy use. Really like their software. Likely will run iTunes off it too, it's patched into the audio panel. I wanted to put in a large permanent display and computer instead of the netbook, but ran out of budget! Eastern Iowa Avionics is putting it all together, and they made a nifty mount for the computer so it will easily go in and out - that's the handle at the center-top.

Dwight

Miller time???

Gotta laugh, I spent a lot of time in the same position you are obviously enjoying in this shot.

panel.jpg

PMA5000EX

Hi Mike:

Thanks for using our audio panel, I hope that it exceeds your expectations once you start flying behind it.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering

Getting there

Got everything talking to each other properly with a little work. A few more wiring items to fix/change, then it's good to go.

IMG_9203-300x225.jpg

Dwight

Wow.

Got everything talking to each other properly with a little work. A few more wiring items to fix/change, then it's good to go.

IMG_9203-300x225.jpg

Dwight

Dwight,

It's good to see you making progress with your panel. Now if only your prop would arrive. :eek: Keep up the good work.

I had it printed at Staples, It really gives you a good feeling of how things will be situated and if it works. I've already made changes and I'm now looking at the layout on the Aerosport panel.

OOOOOOOOooooo! And you can quote me.

I like your vents outlets and their mounts. Source?

I custom built the mounts for the vents because on the earlier Fuse kits Van's made the cutout on the side skins too high and we had to fend for ourselves on how to mount the vents. So I took the part that had both the Naca Scoop and the back of vent bound together and I separated them so I could mount the vent under the instrument panel and then connected them with a small piece of scat tube.

Ray
N519RV

Panel done!

Yesterday we powered up the panel for the first time after mounting in the airframe. We used the standard Aerosport panel. The inserts are fine texture powder coat.
IMG_0074.JPG

Edit to fix link....

Last edited:
Nice!!

Very clean, nicely laid out. Looks so simple that I know you put a lot into the design. One of the nicest out here. Congrats!!

Thanks for the compliments. This being the 4th panel I have done, I have learned quite a bit. This is the first with glass displays and the Vertical Power management system. Pierre, All three primary displays, gps, comm, and audio panel are all connected to an Aux buss. The Dynon has it's own battery. If the Main buss fails for any reason I figure I should have 3 hours of backup instruments. If only the alternator fails I have more than that by using the main battery.

What really makes this look good is the Aerosport panel and interior!
Bill

Very well done.

Thanks Bill....I think we'll see more and more steam gauges omitted as time goes by. The glass stuff is just so reliable and with backup batteries, there's no need for steam.

My concerns are always a worst case scenario during a low ceiling ILS or LPV approach. What if the lights go out near the MDA? You seem to have that covered.

Best,

Nice panel

Bill,

Great looking panel. You are going to love flying behind that!! Let me know if I can help with anything. 135 hours on mine since March 31.

Great Panel Bill

Bill, do you have any closeups that you could post (or a picasa or other place I could look at) of you panel. I am planning an almost identical panel (aerosport) with either G3X or AFS, can't decide, but I am still at least a year out as I am just starting my fuselage. I want the clean uncluttered look that you have. If you don't have closer pictures, can you tell me what switches you have, I can't quite make them out from the posted pictures.
Where are your air controls?

Thanks,

Bill,
If you send me your email address I will send you the Cad DXF file for the panel cutouts and a link for the photos. Geoff at Aerosport also has the file. He can ship you the panel with the inserts already cut out as I have them, or you can modify the drawing accordingly. He has 2 AFS displays in his -10, so he can probably help you out with that layout. Aerosport provides the switches and could also provide you with a turnkey panel. Go to his website and check it out. The air controls are integrated into the inside kick panels that are not shown in the photo as they were removed prior to the photo. There are two cutouts on each sideto accomodate the heat controls, alternate air and parking brake. You should also really consider the VPX power management system also. My log is at www.mykitlog.com/peytonb

Sean, Thanks for your support. I am happy with the choice. The displays are plenty big, and for a three pilot family, the additional co-pilot display let's everyone fly!
Bill

Here's mine, left side, right side. Of possible interest in the right side photo is the home built stereo intercom/audio control panel.
23l03ye.jpg

157jfwk.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

I have always been impressed with the molded panels but yours is
beautifully done using Kit supplied parts.

One we did earlier in the year...flew beautifully for awhile! It's been a popular layout for sure. :)

Cheers,
Stein

282606_239914669366552_175891939102159_902751_5146994_n.jpg

Stein,
I see the AHARS and Magnetometer are not x'ed out. How did you get the displays to show AHARS and Mag calibration when it's sitting in mid-air for the photo?
Bill

Stein,
I see the AHARS and Magnetometer are not x'ed out. How did you get the displays to show AHARS and Mag calibration when it's sitting in mid-air for the photo?
Bill

It's sitting on the bench and we have it halfway fooled into thinking it's sorta flying or outside with its calibrations already done. It's amazing what you can do with a few ridiculously expensive boxes generating signals of all sorts...and a few crackshot avionics techs that are way smarter than me!

Cheers,
Stein

Rudi's RV ZULU-X's Panel is done!

Merry XMAS everyone, and Merry XMAS to me too! It was a UBER RV week :twisted: (as Jan would say!) I finished the Panel on the 24th just before Xmas, so nice present to me

This entire panel is all home grown in my garage, fully redundant, full backup, everything trip switch protected, duel busses, standby batteries, the worx, state of the EXPERIMENTAL art.

Cutting the panel. Easy to do it when it only requires a couple of square holes
fin_189.jpg

Trial fitting left panel EFIS and IPHONE, Right panel in the background
fin_190.jpg

Trial fitting the IPAD mount. I ground away the rear of the RAM Mounts so they can fit flusher
fin_191.jpg

The Wiring all done, tidied up the best one can, and labelled.
fin_192.jpg

Almost there...
fin_193.jpg

Done! The side wires will get closed when the upholstery gets done
fin_194.jpg

The screens powered up and no smoke :)
fin_195.jpg

A Closer look at the left hand panel, notice the RGB LED strip under glareshield. It can go RED for Map reading or White for cockpit lighting, all on a single switch and dim.
fin_196.jpg

A Closer look at the right hand panel
fin_197.jpg

I am very proud how my home grown panel turned out.

Rudi

Rudi,

Does South Africa make you put that same stupid placard that the FAA requires about conforming to standards on the panel? I guess that was a rhetorical question since you have a variation on your panel.

bob

Rudi,

Does South Africa make you put that same stupid placard that the FAA requires about conforming to standards on the panel? I guess that was a rhetorical question since you have a variation on your panel.

bob

Hi Bob, Affirm, Actually the law approved wording for South Africa is different, but the Vans sticker will suffice! Rudi

Rudi... I am left speechless once again by your work! I love the skyview even in its preliminary-baked state! I can't wait for the rest of the feature updates! :D

Here is a flying preview of my screen!
screenshot-20111223-170750-294.jpg

Rudi... I am left speechless once again by your work! I love the skyview even in its preliminary-baked state! I can't wait for the rest of the feature updates! :D

Here is a flying preview of my screen!
<SNIP>

Hey jchang10, thanx and very nice flying pic of Skyview! Yes so far I am also very impressed with the Skyviews and that is just on the ground. I have not loaded any Jeppesen Databases yet, (we have to purchase for South Africa no freebies like USA guys) Can't wait to get her in the sky and see them alive.

Rudi

Back