What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List of gotcha's for RV-9A

I'm not great at always finding or remembering those little details on the plans that are gotcha's...that require removing rivets because they were installed prematurely. I've started making a list of those gotcha's because I only have like 56K of memory left, and I sometimes forget when I'm in the midst of construction...like forgetting to leave the 10 holes open on the horizontal stab, for the empennage fairing attachment. :mad:

Not wanting to reinvent another wheel...has anyone created a list of gotcha's? My plan is to create a list as I review the plans before the build, and reference it before I dig into construction. Any help would be appreciated! :D

Mark

Gotchas

Looks like you're blazing a trail.
There's a "Gotcha" page on the 7(a) forum. Lots of similarities. Maybe a good place to start.

Have you tried highlighting the "gotchas" in the instructions and the plans with a colored marker? That usually works for me, but it's not totally foolproof. You have to be sure you review the plans before you start working for the day!

If I'm not mistaken the fuselages of the -7 & -9 are very similar, if not identical. Therefore most of the 'gotchas' for the fuselages could be applicable.

Last edited:
The fuses are identical .... all the parts for my fuse had part numbers with 7 in them. (Conversely, all the tail feather parts had "9" part numbers.)

Virtually all of the Gotchas I encountered were extant in the Sevens and Seven-A's also , e.g. rudder stop dimensions, canopy issues, etc.

The fuses are identical .... all the parts for my fuse had part numbers with 7 in them. (Conversely, all the tail feather parts had "9" part numbers.)

Virtually all of the Gotchas I encountered were extant in the Sevens and Seven-A's also , e.g. rudder stop dimensions, canopy issues, etc.

Not identical, very similar and share a lot of parts, but not identical.

-Dan

When I was building the fuse I would take the plans to work and study every detail, there is a lot of info on those pages! then highlight the important notes and then highlight a different color when a task was completed.

I have built a 9 and 7 and the fuselage is exactly the same except for the wing attachment and seat ribs in the center section to match the wings. Likewise the rudder and vertical stab is exactly the same for the 7 and 9. I have been told the 7 and 8 wings and horiz stab are also the same except for attachments. Makes a lot of sense to have common proven parts across models.

Back