What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 first flight!

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello,

After a 16 year super slow-build adventure, my new RV-4 N999XS finally flew on the Friday after Thanksgiving, Believe me, it was worth all of the money, time, aluminum "paper cuts" and drilled fingers one suffers while building one of these things! I'm not the type of guy who laughs or smiles a lot, but I had the RV-grin all day long after this flight.

The plane is equipped with a Lycoming O-360 with an E Mag/P Mag combo, Sensenich metal prop and AFS-3500/Garmin 496 combo. Weight came in at 961 lbs, which I was happy with considering the engine/prop combo. I'm loving the AFS-3500 so far! Only squawks were a slightly heavy right wing and a blown fuse on the electric flaps.

Takeoff roll was about 400 feet without any effort, and I pushed up the power to full throttle once during level flight and saw 191 MPH (true airspeed) with the airspeed still climbing. Adding the gear leg fairings and wheelpants should bring that number well over the 200 MPH mark. I was very happy and amazed with the performance. I added a custom Todd's Canopy with Oregon Aero seats (built up about an extra inch and a half) so the visibility is outstanding with headroom to spare.

A special thanks to my buds at Knucklehead Aviation out at Zuehl Field (moral support), Tommy Anderson for the beautiful paint job (welcome to Tommy Mart . . .), Tim Olson for answering my dumb electrical questions and help building the tanks, Michael LaPriese for misc help, and to Bob Richie and his son Travis for being a great chase ship pilot and air to air photographer. Thanks also to Art Barker and DAR Paul Andreas for the great inspection process and to dave Jose for the C-140 loan for my tail-wheel signoff.

Most importantly, thanks to my wonderful wife Donna for 16 years of support and help on this project. She riveted pretty much all parts that involved two people (the wings, fuselage and empennage pieces). She also gets credit for keeping me going on this project every time I was ready to give up or sell it! Thanks also to my two kids, Max and Abby for letting me spend hour upon hour out at the hangar!

If you are building, keep pounding those rivets. It's well worth it!

Rick Stoffel
Zuehl Field, TX

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9063/rv4aa2.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7363/rv4aa1.jpg

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/900/rv4overzuehl.jpg

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8223/rv4atterrys.jpg

Awesome!!!

Rick,

That is awesome!

Congrats, and you have one nice looking RV4!!!

Phil

Wooooooo Whoooo!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Great looking paint job!

Last edited:
...After a 16 year super slow-build adventure, my new RV-4 N999XS finally flew on the Friday after Thanksgiving,...
rv4aa2.jpg

Congratulations on sticking with it Rick!

That paint scheme with the tinted canopy is just awesome.

Get the wheelpants on and you may have the best looking -4 around.

That paint scheme with the tinted canopy is just awesome.

Get the wheelpants on and you may have the best looking -4 around.

I was looking at the pics, and without the leg fairings or wheel pants, it's easy to squint a little bit and picture the plane with the gear retracted! Really looks like a Mustang!

Great work!!!

Ron, give me a call

Ron,

It looks like you're in San Antonio. Give me a call if you'd like and I'd be happy to show the plane to you.

Rick
(612) 239-5128

First flight

Congratulations Rick on your first flight. My RV-7A is about ready to bolt the wings on and the instrument panel is ready for power. The light at the end of the tunnel is not a freight train. James says hello George Bucks Ps hows the Debonair flying?

Thanks

I'll definitely give you a call after the holidays. Thanks for the offer to look at your plane, and maybe pick your brain a little.

Again. It's a thing of beauty!
-Ron

Back