What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X AP for RV-10?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Good morning RV8tors,

i am at it again, helping a friend with his RV10 :D

Anyone with real world experience with G3X AP and RV10? :confused:

Background, I have a Skyview in my RV10 and had to upgrade my AP to SV52 Roll servo (72 inch pounds) and the pitch upgraded to a SV42T (65 inch-pounds) Linear Actuator, to get rock solid AP performance in turbulence.

in the new RV10 we definitely going G3X for Efis, but i am concerned about the AP performance...so please put my concerns to ease?

PS: What is the torq strength of the G3X AP Servos? I can't find it online...

Thank you in advance, Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
Hello Rudi,

The maximum torque rating of the GSA 28 servo is specified in section 9 of the G3X Installation Manual and is 60 in. lbs.

The G3X autopilot flies the RV-10 very well with these servos. There are a couple of reasons why you can't always do a comparison of servos just by looking at the torque rating.

The GSA 28 servo uses a high quality brushless DC motor and gear train in combination with a solenoid driven engagement clutch (not a slip clutch). This design can't slip or "lose steps" like some designs and is able to be operated up to the full torque rating.

Additionally, most RV owners are taking advantage of the ability of every GSA 28 servo to drive the trim motors when the autopilot is engaged to always keep the aircraft in perfect trim. This is a performance and service enhancing feature since the servos seldom have to work against an auto-of-trim aircraft.

I know you asked for real world experience and I have flown in an RV-10 with this autopilot, but will wait for others to comment for you.

You and your friend will be very pleased with this G3X installation and autopilot.

Let us know if you have any installation or configuration questions. We have the gain settings which have been found to work well with the RV-10.

Thanks,
Steve

Back