What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Seat Suggestion???

RV4er

Well Known Member
After 2.5 hours in my 4 I am hurting. I bought some of the confer foam and made a new lower seat, but it still isn?t a whole lot better. I have seen Vetterman?s RV-4 with a sling type seat, but have had no luck finding one. Anyone have a seat you love or have a suggestion? Building a 8 is not an option : )

Seats

When I bought my -4, any flight over an hour had me losing feeling in the ol' glutes. I ponied up for the Oregon Aero seats and had them covered in leather by a local auto upholstery shop (being in Wichita, they even had some left over fire-rated leather from a Cessna Citation refurb project!). Problem solved.

Of course, this week I'm wishing I had installed bun-warmers too!

Hmmmmmmm

So it appears there are only two of us that have had this problem. Thanks Tom for your feedback. I pick up my Hotel Whisky extended tanks Friday and need to get cracking on this seat thing.

I see that Jon Johanson used a fiberglass race car seat. Sounds like too much work and expense. I can sit in my office chair for 10 plus hours and feel no pain. It is one that has a mesh seat and back. It makes me wonder if one could adapt the seat portion to work.

On the other hand maybe the Oregon Aero seat is the way to go. Anyone else out there have one and like or dislike it?

I think my half of my last 10 posts have been about the oregon areo seats! =) I could sit in there all day if I could! My wife sometimes jumps in the back seat for hours with a book if I'm working on something and ask for the company. In a word they're... perfect.

I had my front seat made by Becky Orndorf and couldn't be happier. Fantastic customer service as well.

Thanks

Thanks for posting this, I have been mulling over what to do about seats for my 4 which is almost ready to assemble. I sold my share in a Tailwind because it gave me back ache.

My RV9 has the Vans supplied cushios and is comfortable, but these are not available for the 4. So I placed an order with Oregon last week on the basis of what you guys were saying about these seats.

Thanks again.

WAM

You can check mine if you like....in Dallas

Tim L,

I have my RV-4 at Eagles Nest, S Dallas. If you want to see/try my seats, fly on down. I made them myself out of different densities of foam then had them covered with leather. VERY comfortable and total cost under $300 for both front and back seats. I am 6' 1" and a bit over 200 lbs.

My wife and I flew to OSH in the -4 this year and while she was ready to get there because of the limited room in the back seat, the seat itself was not an issue. I customized the lumbar and thigh support to fit her and my seat in front. Just two nights ago I had a 230# in the back seat and he thought it was comfortable....he's bigger than my wife;)

As for me, I could have easily jumped back in and flew the five hours back home. Last month I flew to Phoenix and back and again, very comfortable.

There are options out there that don't have to be expensive and yet comfortable. I had Orndorf seats in my Rocket and they were great but this time tried something homegrown and am very pleased.

Feel free to try em' if you like!

Back