What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jj's RV-4 Fastback FLIES!!!!!

Jetj01

Well Known Member
N234JJ went from being an RV-4 project to an RV-4 airplane today, 18 May 2009 after 2 years and 8 months building! And what a BIG thrill! At 1300 today I had Col Dave Eby (ret.) do the DAR honors ('gig' free!) and then went thru the task of putting all the covers back on. And at 1930 tonight I took her into the air. It is hard to describe the thrill of flying my own creation! Again, what a BIG thrill! I'll provide more details later but in general it flew GREAT and it appears like it will be a mover! Thanks to all my friends who made this project possible and Doug R and this great and informative site for ALL the help provided. Looking forward to associating names with your faces as I fly my new RV-4 Fastback around this great country! And since I'm retiring in 6 weeks, I should have the time!!!!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3451/gedc0881.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/608/gedc0889.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7815/gedc0892.jpg

Last edited:
Just woke up and was telling myself to send you a PM regarding your first flight. Just wondering if it happen yet. Congrats! If you make it to the west coast, let me know.

BTW, you need to change your signature to "built an RV-4 Fastback".

congrats

That sure looks like one Fine RV4. It looks like its going 200 mph just setting there... What color red is that. .. Paint code maybe????????

Rich

Slept like a baby!

After yesterdays eventful first flight evening and after sitting and gazing at my plane over a tasty beverage, I went home and slept like a baby! Wow, I can't believe it flew! Thanks for all the nice comments all. Bill, I got a 25 hour Phase 1 period thanks to the good work of the DAR getting approval for my O-360/Blended Airfoil combo, and a 50 mile radius test area...not quite Dallas. So I'll be flying just about everynight so it's ready to go to OSHKOSH in July...come on up. And Rich, the red paint is 2003 Dodge Viper red from O'Reilly's.

Looking forward to my flight tonight. Last night the cylinder head temp got up to 426 which concerned me but the DAR said 'get it hot and fly it' as the break-in process will deliver higher temps. Other than that, WOW! Love the Dynon display with the 496 and was pleased to see both Dynon airspeed and altitude jive with the backup steam gauges. And I liked the way the plane felt with the bigger tires and don't think it will affect the speed much if at all.

It was a LONG build period but taxiing in last night made me proud to be a builder/flyer.

Axel, I'm going to have to remember how to get into my sig block...GREAT IDEA!

You can expect about a 15-20? drop in CHT after break in... so you still are a little on the hot side. Nothing I'd worry about right away, but for extended use, probably should isolate the problem areas and fix it up...

CONGRATS on the first flight!

No Way man!

Hey Jim,

Your prop gov works GREAT by the way! No more buidling for me! I have some buds here on the field working on their RV-10s and RV-6 and RV-8; I'll have more time to tinker with them. Besides, I now have THREE planes, as my wife keeps reminding me....upkeep should keep me busy until I have to find another real job! Maybe I'll get a stimulus check???

I'll keep my eye on the CHTs however have heard differing opinions on what is going to happen next... Regardless, as long as not out of limits with oil, EGT and CHT, I'll be a-flying!

Yayyyyyyy!:D

Love this plane!

UPDATE on Phase 1:

Flew my Fastback -4 last night and did some 'speed runs'. At half tanks and 3,000 MSL (aprox 4,200 feet desity alt) was getting 205 statute (sounds faster than knots!) indicated airspeed and 220 true air speed at 2600 RPM and 27 MP. I am more than satisfied with this! Appears my homemade intake system, to fit the Sam James stiock cowl, is working great and even giving me some 'ram' effect MP. Obvioulsy still in the engine break-in phase but really impressed with the Hartzel Blended Airfoil prop/180 HP combo. On takoff roll it literally pushes me into the seat and I'm flying!

Tonight I'm taking the carb off and sending it in for the next bigger jet size since the CHTs are higher than they need to be.

I landed last night and just let my plane sit outside the hanger and stared at it while sampling a tasty beverage.....can't beleive I built it!!!!

Lastly. Becker radios are the best!

Keep pounding those rivets, it's worth it!

Last edited:
One's ready, two's ready...F.O!

JJ,

You know the next test...:)

Smokey
HR2

PS: Lose the Carb and put an Ellison or APFI on her!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks Larry! Ever since I was a kid I have always thought airplanes were supposed to be red and white!

Smokey...no way man! Three weeks ago my father in law gave me a ride home from Kasas in his Monty Barrett powered IO-540 Fastback Showplanes RV-8. At 2100 RPM and 20 inches he was doing 192 KNOTS! I remember my Rocket days fondly! Rockets RULE! However I sure prefer my $1,100 insurance premiums in my -4 and knowing it didn't cost me the price of a nice house!!!! Especailly now that I'm soon 'retired'! ;)

Fuel injection is toooo many $$$$ but an Ellison intrigues me!

TBI or not TBI, that is the question!

JJ my brother, contact me offline, I have much test data before and after on my Dad's Hybrid -6 carb vs ellison. Ellison is a great little TB.

Smokey
HR2

PS: Yes, Rockets Rule! Officially mine is an RV-4!:)

OK then

Yes I was tempted to put an IO540 in my 7..then I got sensible and built an IO360 and a 7a..:)

So..what does having a 540 on the sharp end do to one's insurance premiums?..

Frank

Great colors and scheme

I've been vacillating (no- not a sex act) about the color of my 7A. Thanks for helping me make my mind up. Beautiful Aircraft. Heavy on the craft part..:D

7.5 hours and LOVING IT!

Flew N234JJ tonight for a 1.1 hour flight in my Phase 1 Flight test program. I think tonight was my favorite flight I have ever flown! It was a 'cool' 89 degrees (been crazy hot here in Texas lately) and the air was smooth after a day of thunderstorms. I had been slowly working out a left wing heavy tendancy and tonight all the control surfaces were finally balanced and the rudder was neutral at cruise. It just literally flew hands off. I have recently replaced the carb with a 4164 MS carb and that eliminated the 'hot' cylinders and now at full throttle and 2500 RPM, 3,000 MSL, staying near 400 CHT and only 203 degrees oil. I have 7.5 total hours and am impressed with the performance of the plane. Don't really feel any penalty for the bigger tires and LOVE the way the RV-4 'auto' lands!

At full fuel and 50 lbs passenger ballast, 89 degrees and 3'000 MSL, 26 MP and 2500 RPM: 198 Statute IAS, 217 Statute TAS.

Next plan is to get the prop dynamic balanced, adjust direction of the landing/taxi lights. But the big stuff seems to be behind me...really enjoying going to the hanger, pullin out the plane, flying it and then parking it...the way the PILOT side of me likes it. Building is HARD ;-)

Overall, see you at OSHKOSH!

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/826/n234jjjun09.jpg

Last edited:
You're trueing 220 on 180HP?!! That's one smoking fast RV4, well done!

From your northerly neighbor in OKC, OK...

Thats what the Dynon says!

Yuppers, TAS is saying 217 Statute! I know, seems too good to be true?? But all I have been doing the last few nights is droning along at full throttle and 2500 rpm about 2,000 AGL, 3,000 MSL...its been consistant. I need to fly side by side with someone but my numerous GPS ground speed checks seem to confirm it so...I'll take it.

FYI, I fly thru OK all the time. In Laws have a ranch in KS so go there most weekends. Let me know if your going to any good flyins in the OK area!

Axel, end of month to OSH! Looking forward to it. We always stay in Wautoma, WI and fly in and out of OSH everyday in a gaggle of RVs, so be looking for us!

I retire tomorrow from the USAF so should have the rest of my Phase 1 flight hours done by then easily!!!

Bill in Ft Worth, lets get together and fly Fastbacks!

Yayyyyyyyy!

Beautiful Airplane.......

Jj, Don't know how I missed this thread before. Got a look at your RV4, it is absolutely beautiful. Is this the plane you put my O360 in? I hope it is. Congrat's on your retirement, now to have some fun. Darn fast too.

Yes it is!

Hi Chuck!

Yes it is! Amd it works GREAT! Easy starter and I like the LASER ignition system. Still have a few more hours to fly off my Phae 1 the will come down there and hunt you down!

Are you going to OSH? I figure if we fly in formation it will be like our two motors are back in a twin (almost) again!!!

Very happy with my plane! I see you are too! Did you ever find space in New Braunfels?

Trying to work it all out........

Jj, Trying to work out the trip to Osh. My wife's sisters live in Madison. If I go will probably drive as I have other places to go too. I like the Lasar too, but have noticed a couple of times when at low rpm, the light may come on. Then goes off, generally when taxiing.??? Have about 25 hours on now. Engine has not missed a beat. I think the Lasar is highly underated, seems like the best way to go for electronic ign.

Back