What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Interior Finishes

meadeduck

Well Known Member
I forgot where I noticed that someone was going to use a light gray finish and use spray (rattle) cans for the interior. I went by an auto parts place today and found a can of primer that had an etching material in it, so I bought it and tried it on a piece of scrap aluminum. I can't judge if it's better or worse but it looks ok and seemed to put down a uniform spray. Anyone else have any similar experiences?
Meade and George
#16:)

Fleck Coat

i have been using a light gray paint and then coating it with a fleck paint and then a clear coat. It is made by PlastiCoat and is called Stone Touch. It comes in different colors itself. Light gray or very dark and also a couple of shades of brown. If you put just the Stone Touch on it looks like a rock. If you put it over another color it gives a very nice look. The clear coat is part of the process. Patching spots that have worn or scratched is very easy. The repair is invisible since the flecks are random in color and shape. Another advantage is that you can do the job in sections. I did the area under the rudder pedals before installing them and the rest later.

Try experimenting with the base coat of different shades of gray for example. The appearance when you put on the fleck is quite different so the under color is part of the treatment. The material is designed to make a faux rock finish and it will if that is all you use or if you put in on too heavy. I have used it and like it and have seen in on a few airplanes.

Several different companies make similar treatments. I the Stone Touch is also sold under the name "Make it Marble" or something like it. Rustoleum also makes their own brand.

Richard

I used primer grey rattle can on my seat backs from my local auto parts store. It was close in color to my seats. It doesn't stand out and looks ok. Not sure how Its going to hold up with wear and tear and I'm not convinced its going to stay but for the moment I like it.

Interior Gray

The "rattle can" match to Van's powder coat gray is supplied by Cardinal Industrial Finishes (El Monte, CA). The color match number is:

A-4108-GR230 GLOSS RAL 7035 LT. GRAY Aerosol, Touch Up Air Dry Acrylic Enamel

Their phone numbers are: 626-444-9274 or 323-283-9335

I've ordered this paint from them several times over the past few years. Always a good experience.

Good Luck!

textured paint

You need to plan how you would label the panel if you used textured paint.

Personally, I would use a darker matte finish paint. Definately not white or high gloss on the panel.

Bevan

Last edited:
When working on the -12 do the plans say when do start painting the interior?

Last edited:
i'm using an Advantage primer followed by PPG three part...all with a touch-up gun off the compresser...actually gives better control than a rattle can. I have friends that have done same and never had to worry about chipping.

Pete

When working on the -12 do the plans say when do start painting the interior?
Yes, Larry-The plans, on page 25-05, tell you that "now, optionally, would be a good time to paint the interior". I just got my fuselage back from the paint shop (I love to build, but I hate to paint.) I had them paint the interior a flat, light grey, and it looks great. The tailcone is already on and I finished the tail feathers while the fuse was being painted. All I have left now, until the finish kit gets here, are the rudder pedals, brake lines, and the foreward, upper fuselage. I did the fuel lines earlier, while I was waiting for the tailcone to arrive. Steve

Interior Finish - Cloth?

I think we may try to put my wife's million dollar sewing machine to use and have her cover some panels that I made that will fit in the front part of the cockpit. I have 6 panels for each side including 'kick' panels. I'm new at this, so does anyone have any feeling about leaving the aluminium bare in the rear of the compartment and bare in the front except where we put the cloth? What aspect of the airplane does it effect (affect?). We plan on painting the instrument panel.
George and Meade

Not sure

If E-LSA, you could put the cloth panels in after inspection. Maybe fairly high reflection of the alcad finish. Could always paint it later.

I am going for a flat type finish to reduce reflection.

John Bender

I think we may try to put my wife's million dollar sewing machine to use and have her cover some panels that I made that will fit in the front part of the cockpit. I have 6 panels for each side including 'kick' panels. I'm new at this, so does anyone have any feeling about leaving the aluminium bare in the rear of the compartment and bare in the front except where we put the cloth? What aspect of the airplane does it effect (affect?). We plan on painting the instrument panel.
George and Meade

Affect is the verb, Effect is the noun. What aspect of the plane does it affect? Leaving the aluminum bar in will have a nice effect.

There is no place correcting grammar in a forum. I only say this because you placed affect in parenthesis with a questions mark.

RV-12 Interior test paint

RV-12TestPaintinteriorskin100_0836.jpg

I tried PLASTI-KOTE on an incorrect skin. Touches up very easy. I clear-coated as recommended. Takes rough feel away. It is called 'stone' finish. Will keep testing it. Like it so far. Many colors available. Buy at Wal-Mart. Hope picture shows ok.

John Bender

PLASTI-KOTE

If you go to the home site, you can see all the colors they offer. I am going to see how much it takes to scratch it, and bend the panel a bunch, and see what it does to it. Goes on really nice. I used a white primer to give better color to it. Clear-coating is recommended. I used a matte finish clear. Can't really see the clear after it dries. Not as rough after the clear.

If I find a serious problem, I'll report back.

John Bender

a pic is better

JB,

I did look at the site, but there is just a tiny swatch. I really wanted to see what it looked like on some aluminum. Your pic was spot on.

PLASTI-KOTE

Paul, If you go to a large Wal-Mart store, you can look at the caps on the rattle cans. The color is very realistic on the cap. If you get far enough into their site, the color samples are a little larger.

John Bender

You need to plan how you would label the panel if you used textured paint.

Personally, I would use a darker matte finish paint. Definately not white or high gloss on the panel.

Bevan

I was leaning this way, too, and maybe I still am. But a friend who's flying says a dark panel finish at night isn't so hot because it sucks up what little light there is. True? I assume this wouldn't be a big issue among RV-12s

Last edited:
sorta

I was leaning this way, too, and maybe I still am. But a friend who's flying says a dark panel finish at night isn't so hot because it sucks up what little light there is. True? I assume this wouldn't be a big issue among RV-12s

Hi Bob,

All these EFISs (or EFII) radios, GPSs etc... make a fair amount of light. In fact they need to be dimmed at night. I plan on flying the -12 at night. I think I might go with a grey interior this time, with a nice red paint job with black stripes. I'm into the fuse. Stop by the shop anytime.

Forward Interior Painted with PLASTI-KOTE

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss124/JBender_photos/RV-12F-InteriorpaintedPLASTI-KOTE10.jpg

I scotchbrited, cleaned with acetone, primed with self-etching gray, then a white primer to bring out color in the top coat, then Plasti-Kote, then Clear - matte finish.

It is still cold in Iowa, so I am working in smaller sections with no exhaust fan. That is making it do-able. The test sample I posted before can be bent and beat, and it seems very good so far. I plan to do it in maybe 4 sessions.

John Bender

how tough?

Hi John - thanks for the great info. Have you done any informal toughness tests on this finish? So far all I've done is prime a few parts (not many :)) with Napa 7220... and it doesn't seem particularly tough... I can scratch it fairly easily.

I'm not sure when in the project to paint the interior, but I'd ideally like to do it only once!!

Dave Gribble

PS - great to know of another local builder!!

Dave & Paul

Dave - I bent my test panel a bunch and stood on it, and beat on it. Did not show a crack or anything. I know it is 'young' yet, but it had cured for a few days, so I think it will hold.

Paul - petty much when they suggested it. Actually I have been 'done' for a few weeks now. The weather in this area finally got above freezing for a bit, that is why I decided to paint some. I am going to continue in sections while I am waiting for the finish kit. Actually makes it a little better doing in sections. Don't have to hurry as much. Due to the design, you can paint in any type section(s) you want. Very easy to mask off where there is a rib or joint, then continue from there. This stuff can be touched up very easy. Can't tell where you start or stop. After clear-coating it is not so rough. Before, it feels like #36 sand paper after it dries.

John Bender

Interior Finishes

I've bought several cans of paint and in experimenting with some of the brands, I've discovered some interesting points; the cans with the 'fancy' tall nozzles on them, put down a much nicer spray pattern, but they were about 6 bucks a can, and I bought them at an Autozone type store. We bought a can of spray paint that had the right color we wanted at Walmart for $1.12 (shudder), and another can at NAPA for $3.76, that matched the color I bought at Walmart. SURPRISE, the can I bought at Walmart, did a much better job at covering the metal than the one I bought at NAPA for the higher price. I talked with the paint guy at Walmart and he said their paints were made for them by Sherwin Williams. I'm going back tomorrow to stock up on the paint...
Meade and George
#16:)

RV-12TestPaintinteriorskin100_0836.jpg

I tried PLASTI-KOTE on an incorrect skin. Touches up very easy. I clear-coated as recommended. Takes rough feel away. It is called 'stone' finish. Will keep testing it. Like it so far. Many colors available. Buy at Wal-Mart. Hope picture shows ok.

John Bender

John, I tried a sample of the PLASTI-COAT also. I like the greay & black stone finish. It is really easy to use, cheap, and looks great. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Back