What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocating the Voltage Regulator : New Notification

Top Cat

Well Known Member
Notification 16-11-03 Relocating the Voltage Regulator

I made an enquiry to Vans Tech Support the other day about getting supporting paperwork to allow my mechanic to relocate the VR on my SLSA RV-12. Even though they now incorporate the relocation in current builds they said I'd need a Notification and they weren't planning on writing the Notification just yet so I was resigned to simply replacing the VR at the old location.
Apparently they took pity on me and relented and now my mechanic can relocate the VR I just received from Lockwood.

Vans say the cooling tube and shroud on the old VR position can be cut and removed.

I also asked their opinion as to the benefit of wrapping the exhaust to reduce heat near the current VR location ( since it was suggested to me as an option by someone) and they said NOT to as it could crack and weaken the exhaust.

I have to say a big THANK YOU to Vans, and Tech Support for responding so positively and so quickly. This is one of the reasons I chose an SLSA made in the USA : being able to contact them easily and being able to speak to them in person. Brilliant!

Last edited:
I also asked their opinion as to the benefit of wrapping the exhaust to reduce heat near the current VR location ( since it was suggested to me as an option by someone) and they said to as it could crack and weaken the exhaust.

I think you meant to say NOT to.

I think you meant to say NOT to.

Thanks for pointing that out and I've corrected my post.

Has anyone wrapped their exhaust and seen any problems? Just curious since I've been told it has t harmed any RV-12s although they may also be ELSA aircraft

Since it is not factory approved for S-LSA it doesn't really matter what others experiences are because you can't legally do it.
There has been failures of Lycoming systems that were wrapped.

Since it is not factory approved for S-LSA it doesn't really matter what others experiences are because you can't legally do it.

I totally take your point and that is my own personal view as in I'm bound by the SLSA rules.

That said some have said to me that they have experience with RV-12 owners, presumably ELSA, who have wrapped their engine exhaust with no issues. Hence the question.

I have wrapped the right front exhaust because I don't like how the oil line passes through the exhaust loop. No problems with 200 TT.

I recommend against wrapping the exhaust.:p
Before!
fed683d652a796eaedbbf9378e722372_zps334e7e02.jpg

After!
0eb43b907bb30a1e48bee02ab95ae043_zps9f05d6bb.jpg

John ---

I noticed in the photos you posted of the exhaust pipe that in the background your oil and cylinder head temp wires are covered. What product did you use for that?

I know it's apples and oranges

The Diamond DA20-A1 Katana with the Rotax 912F engine has a wrapped exhaust on the #1 & 2 headers. It was more about reducing heat damage to the cowling than anything else.

You did have to remove the wrap to inspect the headers during the annual/100 hour inspection.

Last edited:
I wish there was a better way to route the oil line. I also drilled a raised hole in the strap hanger to lift the oil line more central in the radius of the exhaust tubing. If the strap ever breaks the oil line will surely fall against the exhaust and the outcome will not be good. I guess its OK because I've never heard of a problem with this - just gives me the willies when I look at it.
-
f43da8.jpg

Some Flight Design CT owners have have had header wrap on their 912ULS engines for many years with no problems. Flight Design gave fleet approval many years ago.

I have not done it to my CT after 9 years and 480 hours. No reason, just never saw the need.

Exhaust wrap

The one picture with wrap on Jetguy's post is over wrapped and this will cause heat retention. The edge of the wrap should be no more than 3/8" over the edge of the last wrap. Rotax owners have been wrapping exhaust pipes for more than 20 years without any issues IF DONE PROPERLY.

Thanks

Thanks for the links Jetguy ... I think covering the wires is a wise thing to do in that area.

Back