What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SLICK 4300 series 500 hr insp

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
I know most are running an electronic unit on one or both sides and I am also.( Plasma II+CDI ) . BUT have a Slick 4371R with Impulse Coupling on the other side.

Presently the Mag shows no signs of distress. no oil leaks, sets to timing, no roughness, no mag drop, But never have opened it up.

What is the current thinking on what needs to be done for a 4371R Slick/Champion with impulse coupling having 600 hrs on a factory OH unit. ???

(1) just send it back to Slick for the inspection
(2) maybe send to outside mag inspection source for same. (Any recommendations appreciated)
(3) go ahead and buy a A/S OH unit for $1200 and return core.
(4) upgrade that side to P mag.
(5) other ??

Any comments will be appreciated.

If your 4300 series mag has never been opened up in 600 hrs, there is a very good chance that the plastic cam follower part is worn, and your internal "e-gap" timing has changed. Performance will suffer. It is worth overhauling them now, or rather using your old one as a core to buy an overhauled one with a core refund.

As Carl mentioned, the SB's are important to attend to. Depending on original date of manufacture, the plastic distributor gear could be very well chewed up.

My Slick 4370 has been at Champion for 3 weeks now, hoping to get it back soon.

I’m no expert, but it seems like running two different EI units (LS and Pmag) would not be a good idea, with possibly different advance curves. I would at least ask Klaus or someone at Pmag about it.

Inspection vs. Overhaul

Instead of an overhaul why not do what is actually required every 500 hours, an inspection? It's also cheaper and they change whatever is not good and give you a 500 hour warranty until the next inspection so to me that's a no brainer.

https://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/500-hour-inspection-details

and at half the price of an overhaul. They also explain why an overhaul is not cost effective.

https://www.aircraftmagnetoservice.net/overhaul-details

I second this. SLICK only requires overhaul at the time of engine overhaul. Otherwise it's an IRAN. In my opinion, anything that requires removal of the rotor and bearings from the frame warrants a full overhaul or mag replacement.

I service my own mags. I generally remove, inspect, and check/set the points and e-gap at every annual. When they've gone ~400-500 hours, I perform a complete 500 hour inspection on them. The annual inspections are particularly important for the impulse mag and coupling since they can deteriorate rather quickly once they start to wear. Failure of the impulse coupling rivets may result in catastrophic damage to the engine accessory case gears. Also, ensuring that the breaker points are in good shape and keeping their timing ("e-gap") accurate helps to ensure solid performance from the mags, especially during engine start.

Skylor

Last edited:
I?m no expert, but it seems like running two different EI units (LS and Pmag) would not be a good idea, with possibly different advance curves. I would at least ask Klaus or someone at Pmag about it.

Many of us run one mag and one EI, so that arrangement has VERY different advance curves. Works very well.

Two different EIs with somewhat different advance curves would be less difference. I don't think this is a concern, as long as neither advance curve is too much advance.

Back