What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much fluid in reservoir

Robert M

Well Known Member
Just filled the brake lines with fluid. So, how much fluid should I have/keep in the reservoir?

Thanks,

Fill it after bleeding

To the top with aircraft in normal ground position. If you ever get a leak, you will want all the fluid you have to get you stopped. The little cintered brass cap will keep any from coming out while flying..at least mine does.

I only fill to about 1/2. 19+ years flying has shown that any more than 1/2 gets tossed out and makes a mess.

I keep mine about 1/2" from the top and never have issues. But then, I don't do "negative G" stuff.
I have a small vent tube bent down 180° and ending below the reservoir.

I only fill to about 1/2. 19+ years flying has shown that any more than 1/2 gets tossed out and makes a mess.

I have mine approximately 3/4 + full, and am getting fluid running down the firewall and along the belly. Positive G light acro only. No leaks anywhere else, including out of the top.

So simply lowering the reservoir level to 1/2 of it's capacity may resolve this minor emission?

Thanks,

Rob

Brake Reservoir

A white Ty-Rap makes a great "dipstick" for checking the fluid level. Flexible if you need it to be and the little teeth capture fluid for easy reading.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Thanks gang.

Xactly was I was looking for. Looks as thought the census is between half and 3/4 full. The reservoir that I have, (from Van's), has a twist on screen cap. I will fill it to 3/4 and see what happens. I will need to fly a bit to see if the 3/4 spills out. If so, drop to a half.

No acro for me, I just want to go from point A to point B. Turbulance will probably be the only thing that bumps me around a bit.

Thanks again,

Other alternatives

Throw the cap with the screen away. Go to your local auto parts store and purchase a grease zerk to install in its place. I'm still flying with a grease fitting for a cap, going on 9 years and it still is working great. No leaks even with aerobatics. It's about as inexpensive as can be. My reservoir level stays about 1/2" from the top... You won't need to replenish fluid unless you get a leak somewhere else in the system.

Here's a discussion including some other alternatives:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=126352

Joe

I've never had an issue with Van's cap. I keep my reservoir about 3/4 full. I do aerobics almost every flight (although generally positive G).

Mark

Back