What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat Success

dekky111

Well Known Member
RV-9A builder in our vicinity (who wishes to remain anonymous) inadvertently missed the cotter pin in the nosegear castle nut that holds the nosewheel assembly in place. The Inspector also missed the missing cotter pin. At about five hours into the fly-off, on an excellent landing on the mains, the nosegear assembly stayed on the runway, and he skidded to a stop. The prop never hit, no damage to the cowling, and the plane didn't flip. The only damage was to the builder's pride. Repair was a new nose gear. Thanks to AntiSplat for a well engineered device.

Last edited:
That's good to hear Jack. Tell your friend not to feel bad. I had left out the cotter pins on my main wheel nuts. Fortunately, an observant builder/friend noticed before my first flight.

I've got the nosegear mod, a lipskid and just installed the nosewheel mod on my 6A. Makes me feel much better about landing on sod. John

Can anyone see the pictures? If you can, could you post them somewhere the rest of us can see them? :)

If I understand correctly, this may be the first documented instance of the antisplat saving a prop/engine? Very important datapoint for the community!

Can anyone see the pictures? If you can, could you post them somewhere the rest of us can see them? :)

If I understand correctly, this may be the first documented instance of the antisplat saving a prop/engine? Very important datapoint for the community!

…. Actually these guys were just brave enough to admit to a mistake and share.
We have very well documented, with photos eleven incidents that saved the propeller
strike and a flip over as well. We just are not at liberty to share them without the
owners permission. If any of you guys that I am speaking of will contact me, I will
post the information anonymously for you. Just say the word! I will re-post the photos
pertaining to this thread for him as I know he won't mind. Thanks, Allan...:D

what do forensic anthropologists do
Many of the eleven were kind enough to send us their gear leg, and our "NOSE JOB"
product for evaluation. This so we may possibly improve on the design. Thanks, Allan..

Last edited:
Back