What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missing step , section 28 ?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Section 28, page 28-07 figure 3 calls out 20 X ANM470AD3-3 rivets for the F-01451-L tunnel sides and F-01454 muffler shroud but does not have a step for that function. Looking ahead, the next steps will make installing these rivets much more difficult and I do not see why they cannot be done now.
Step 6 says to Install the rivets in the F-01435-L & R to the F-01451-L & R and the F-01454, maybe this is the step Van's meant for the questioned rivets to be installed.
What have the gang ahead of me done?

I think that bit me too. I got everything done and realized I had to rivet those holes also. I don't remember how I did them or if there was interference. I think it was do-able but a pain. There are a few steps I ran into that if you did them out of order, it was not nearly as convenient...so following the plans closely is good, but in this case, they just missed the written step. Nice that you brought it up.
Tim

I wish that I had dimpled those holes and used flush rivets. Those little round heads look out of place when 99.9% of the visible surfaces on the aircraft are dimpled. I would recommend a change to the plans for the use of 426 rivets here.

I wish that I had dimpled those holes and used flush rivets. Those little round heads look out of place when 99.9% of the visible surfaces on the aircraft are dimpled. I would recommend a change to the plans for the use of 426 rivets here.

The designers like the look of flush rivets also (hence the 99.9%), so when round head rivets are used it is usually for a particular reason.

I am a curious guy and would be very interested in the reason if you happen to run into one of the engineers. Thanks!

I tried to find some information online regarding the difference in rivet strength between flush vs universal heads. The tensile strength of the material is the same. An old document I found had to do with repairs to aircraft structures and the numbers of rivets required for a repair. The strongest joint was dimpled joint. A joint using universal head rivets would require 1.27% more rivets then dimpled. A joint using countersinking would require 1.44% more rivets then a dimpled joint.
Using this information, which is intended for repairs, would suggest that it would be possible to use dimpled rivets in this application.
Does any one else have any reference material to confrm this?

Back