What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing walk doubler - Adhesive

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Just a quick thought. Has anyone applied a skim coat of proseal to the mating surface between the wing walk doubler and the top skin to give it just a tad more strength?

I imagine that it works just fine without it, but since I am 200lbs I'm thinking that little things like this may help.

Mine wing walks have never moved in 12 years and I am WAY on the plus side of 200 lbs :rolleyes:

You won't have any issues.

+1 on the "way on the plus side of 200lbs" here with no problems.

My advice:
FOGEDDABOUTIT and build on!

Lots of rivets

If the -7 is like the -6 then there are way over 100 dimpled rivets per side holding the two sheets together... should be enough...:)

Last edited:
I had a paint bubble form over a rivet head near the edge of the doubler. I popped it and there was water inside. I think water entered between the skin and doubler at the forward edge, spread between the sheets, and then popped up through the one rivet that wasn't set quite right. A bit of proseal strategically placed would prevent water ingress.

I'm with Steve

+2 on the over 200#. On for 7 years and still stuck.
Nice paint Steve.

+2 on the over 200#. On for 7 years and still stuck.
Nice paint Steve.
Yes, isn't it funny how many paint jobs end up being very close to others. I did model mine after another plane I saw (one out of Houston) with a few deviations from theirs however. I guess I am not the only one who was thinking this design looked nice.

Talking to a local AME mechanic, he tells me that this is not uncommon in certified aircraft. Not so much for the strength aspect, although he did feel that it helps. But for sure to protect against corrosion and water ingress. In his opinion it wouldn't hurt and its just a small step during the process...so why not. He also gave me some tips on how best to apply the proseal to ensure its even. I'll pass that along in my build log when I get to it.

I am headed in that direction on my build then.

Seal

I would be concerned if any water did find a way in between the skin and doubler, it would be trapped and start corrosion.

Back