What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oh no! Canopy cracked!

dave4754

Well Known Member
I post this for other users, my mistake that is.

While screwing in the screws in the rear of the canopy i was using my battery powered screwdriver and when it came tight i let go. All screws went in well until the ONE!

Located on the upper right hand corner where my plexiglass did not come into full contact the screw pulled down too far and TOO quick for me to feel it.

The crack was small around the screw and i have stopped drilled it and will apply some resin while doing the front Resin work but it is there and i can see it and yes it Hurt!

Just wanted to pass this along and suggest that my experience should tell one not to use powered screwdrivers on the plexi install as you would feel that tension before the crack happens..... Anybody have a towel I feel a cry coming on.:(:(:(

check other holes?

Dave, this is from another guy with a crack at a screw hole....so my sympathies!
but having worked with a fair bit of plexi, I would venture that a non-stressed hole should not be an automatic crack problem.
......meaning, check the rest of the holes still visible with a magnifying glass, and ensure that you haven't left sharp edges, tooling marks, etc. from drilling.
It's easy to cause a tiny chip from a little drill chatter, and then sanding and 'de-burring' just doesn't quite catch it.

Careful with the application of 'resin' to repair it...the edge of the plexi is sensitive to a lot of the solvents used to prep and apply resins, I'd recommend methylene chloride and/or a reinforcement tab under the crack if it's big! ( weld-on #16 etc. are common MC glues)
best of luck!

Ouch! so sorry for your crack, a crack was one of my biggest fears when I drilled my one and only hole. hope it is salvageable.

Ouch! so sorry for your crack, a crack was one of my biggest fears when I drilled my one and only hole. hope it is salvageable.

Same here and is the reason I drilled no holes other than the one for the latch. I was nervous enough trimming and cutting the stuff.

Back