What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New purchase, maybe.

Haines

I am a new member (like 10 minutes ago) and thought I would get started right away. I think I am interested in a 7A but don't really know much about them. I want something that is aerobatic but will still travel cross country at reasonable speed. A little history, I purchased a C172 after my first 2 hours of flight instruction in 1980. After a few years I traded it for a Mooney F model that I upgraded with all the 201 mods and flew it for 25 + years. I now have a beautiful TN A36 with G500 and TKS. I'm not using the Bonanza (especially the back seats) and am ready for some fun flying. I fly a floatplane in the summer here in MI and winter in Tucson at KAVQ. In the RV I would like IO360, glass panel and then I'm open for options and opinions. Thanking everyone in advance, I would appreciate any help I can get. Oh.... And no I don't want to complete any work on a project. Ed

Charlie, thanks. I started my search with RV8 in mind but reconsidered only because of tandem seating. I think I would like it but might be more fun with passengers side by side.

Ed,
I echo Mike's welcome.

You're asking the same questions Kelli and I asked 6 years ago as we considered our desires, mission set, etc. and settled on which aircraft to build. We wanted side-by-side seating for day/night VFR crosscountry (upgradable to IFR) plus sport flying (formation and aerobatics).

Our RV-7A has fit the bill perfectly. Last month we flew a one-hop from NW Regional (DFW area) to Colorado Springs at 170KTAS, 3.5 hours, 9 GPH, with 12 gallons to spare. We pack light, but still had pounds to spare in baggage. I fly formation and aero all the time, and Kelli and I love just jumping in and rocketing down to Austin to see the son-cubs (1.2 hours from DFW area to Austin Exec).

Your mileage may vary, but our 7A is paying for itself regarding utility and fun.

IO360 with dual 10" Dynon Skyview: pretty much the setup you described.

Back