What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Static System

jswareiv

Well Known Member
I originally ran the plumbing for Van's Pitot Static system, but once I installed the ports, I didn't like how small the fitting was on the inside to attach the tubing to. So per someone else's advice, I installed the Cleaveland system and love it. It is much better for $40.

take1w.jpg

I did the same on my RV-10. It works well.

Being overly conservative, I put my t at the top of the bulkhead. I suspect a couple inches is probably ok too. If you have that much water,you're probably going to have other issues.:eek:

Getting ready to run static lines soon. Can you provide any part numbers or is it obvious on the website? Any concerns about switching out the static ports. I've heard others have had static issues with instruments when modifying the Vans static system.

Thanks

Rob

Getting ready to run static lines soon. Can you provide any part numbers or is it obvious on the website? Any concerns about switching out the static ports. I've heard others have had static issues with instruments when modifying the Vans static system.

Thanks

Rob

Here is the kit. http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Static-Ports-and-Plumbing-Kit/productinfo/SPFKIT/#.U80YxqMo7b4. I don't see any problems with the kit, everything is just a little sturdier. Obviously Van's kit will work, since the 14 is flying and they have not had any problems that have been reported. However, when I tried to install the pop rivet ports from Van's, it didn't leave much to attach the tubing to, even though I was very careful not to pull the rivet too much. I like the kit much better, all fittings are an upgrade, including the tubing. $40 for me was money well spent because I will not worry about the hose coming off of the port. Hope this helps.

The hose wont come off the ports (rivets) on the standard static system kit if the instruction step to add a fillet of sealant at the base of the hose, is done.
Nothing wrong with using the more expensive kit if the cost is worth it to you.... If, the ports now being supplied mimic the shape of the original port (rivet). If they don't, and they are flush to the skin on the out side, you will have erroneous readings on static referenced instruments.

Back