What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Akzo priming

wirejock

Well Known Member
Not a primer war question.
I'm considering changing to Akzo for the fuse since my SW P60G2 is almost gone and came up with a wild idea.
Has anyone ever tried tinting Akzo 463 with epoxy tint? It is epoxy right.
I know it's green so the color will probably be weird but maybe a very dark black or charcoal?
It would eliminate painting the interior, save some weight and give a durable finish with corrosion protection.

Great idea, but before I could feel comfortable doing that, I would have to hear from the manufacturer themselves that the integrity of the primer would not be compromised. Just curious, what's wrong with the green color that it comes in?

primer vs top coat?

Primers are just that - they are not top coats. Exect UV to change the color of the primer wherever it might shine on it, and woe to you if you hit it with a strong detergent.

As far as I know, it cannot be tinted - but it can be mixed with same-brand primers to get different colors.

Primer is also somewhat porous, to allow the top coat to adhere. At least the PPG DPxxLF is. Azko has a different sfc, as does the primer from Poly Fiber.

Azko is easy to mix: 1 to 1 and get after it!

Now, if you top coat it with a clear coat of some sort, it just might work.

DanH might jump in here and declare it OK - if he does, then you can carry on with Plan A. He is a pro, and I am the opposite.

Carry on!
Mark

I'm priming with Akzo, and it is great as a primer, but I don't think you would be happy with the surface as a top coat. It seems like it would pick up dirt easily, and be a bear to clean.

enamel color number to match WW2 primer

If you want the primer color for your interior in an enamel, I have the color numbers for you - it's a dang Jeep color! I did my interior that way. Pics available too.

I sat in Gerry Beck's P51B way back when and had to do the same thing he did. In the end, I do not care for the black panel - I think grey would have been a better choice. Fingerprints, ya know...

BTW the P51B cockpit is about the same width as an RV4. Those were NOT very large airplanes!

F1boss at gee mail dot com

Carry on!
Mark

Color

I'm not crazy about green for the cockpit. Nothing against it. I have a green car.
I dark, neutral and non glossy but not black. It sounds like Akzo is UV sensitive so I need to shoot a color over it.

I'm not crazy about green for the cockpit. Nothing against it. I have a green car.
I dark, neutral and non glossy but not black. It sounds like Akzo is UV sensitive so I need to shoot a color over it.

A good clear will provide the required UV protection. That said, if you want grey, why just not buy a grey primer? The PPG epoxy primer comes in a dark grey. Of couse with addition of clear coat, you might as well just apply a proper top coat in your choice of color.

Back