What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two firsts for me today!!!

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Most importantly, I flew my first Pilots n Paws flight. I flew from Palatka, FL, to Columbia, SC, to collect a six year old Boxer that needed to get from the rescue there that had pulled him from a kill shelter, to the rescue in Jacksonville that was going to find him a forever home.

604 sm, 4 hours flight, and one very satisfying day!!!

6oino8.jpg

Second, today was the first time I ever used Flight Following. I was a bit nervous about the communications as I don't speak to controlling bodies much. And the multiple freq changes caught me off guard a bit. But it worked great, the controllers were FANTASTIC (I think they could tell I was a bit nervous :) ), and I felt a lot better looking at the unique code on the xponder and the freq on the comm and knowing that there was someone there immediately if I needed help.

So, kudos to Pilots n Paws for creating an opportunity for me to contribute, and kudos to those of you that are involved in ATC for the help you give all pilots.

Nice going and the wx has been gorgeous here in the SE. I can certainly relate to flying dogs and using FF. Now that you have done it once, it is much less intimidating and very rewarding.

Keep it up, there is a lot of need for PNP pilots. I wish I could do it more often.

Booyah!

Chris,

I have 20+ boxer flights and I have loved every one of them. Congrats!

Very well done!!

First of all, great name you have there Chris. Flight following is a great asset and once you get confortable and acclimated to using it, it'll come second nature.

And kudos to you for extending yourself and saving an amazing animal. :)

Great write-up Chris!
Keep bugging those ATC folks, don't be afraid to ask for help and keep it up!! I remember building my confidence in class C around midnight in a C150 with a fellow Pizza Villa worker to share expenses. Never be afraid to communicate your needs...

I like you for being safer by using an available aviation resource.

I love you for transporting someone's future family member.

Bob Edison

Good job!

Good job, Chris! I have enjoyed everyone of my PnP flights. The dogs have always been well-behaved passengers and seem to appreciate the love! :)

FF

Flight following is a great resource, I was taught to use it early on in flight training and has helped me out several times, especially with spotting traffic before it is visible.

One time flight following really saved me early on. I had departed an airport in an area that was new to me and I was practicing my pilotage navigation skills. I requested flight following and proceeded on course. 5 minutes later the controller called and said I was off course and I made a correction. 5 five minutes pass and they called to check in again and had me turn 10degrees left. This happens a few more times until I (we) figure out that my magnetic compass had somehow picked up a 35degree error. -Thanks Flight Following!

In some cases, it sure is nice to know someone is watching you!

Flight Following - Nice to Have a Hand on Your Shoulder

Chris:
I certainly agree with most of the earlier posts - Use Flight Following whenever possible, as much as possible, until it's second nature.
The real benefit comes when you really need assistance - if you've blundered into a cloud, perhaps get a little lost, or God forbid, lose the engine, you don't have to search for a frequency. Just hit the button. Ask for help or declare an emergency. Why wouldn't you want help or priority over everyone else in the air (that's where the declaration comes in). Good to see you've taken the first step.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

ATC

We just went from here (Trenton, SC) to LaBelle, FL. Flight following is the only way to go. Besides traffic advisories, they get you around and through the numerous restricted areas down the coast and north Florida. Plus gives you something to do , 15 frequency changes and.... they even cleared me through class B airspace at Orlando.

Flight following

On a recent trip I was going from an area of low traffic into a high traffic area. At the first class C space I entered into I asked for FF and was given a unique transponder code for the rest of the trip. It's just another option.

FF is great, but an instructor once told me you still have to watch out for the MOAs, restricted areas, TFRs, etc. Controllers will typically steer you around them, but they're not required to do it.

Also, if you want to know what enroute IFR is like use FF.

John

Last edited:
Pilot n Paws

Good job. Can you give me details about how you secured the dog and provided for his/her comfort and needs?

I am going to look into doing this myself. Thanks for the motivation.

FF and dog

How do you all secure your dogs in the cockpit? I have always wanted to try it. Do you use ear protection for the dogs?

Flight Following is very useful here in SoCal. When I first started flying, I always figured I was bothering the controllers. Since they had so much IFR going on with our busy airspace. Then I went on a tour of the SoCal TRACON. That tour was very enlightening. What I found out, I was more of a nuisance not contacting them. Having a 1200 code flying along their radar with no way to contact them, and no idea what their intentions are, is a lot more of a issue for the controller.
I use FF pretty much whenever I fly.
I figure one more set of eyes watching for traffic is a good thing. If they don't have time to help you, they will let you know.

I removed the passenger seating and placed blankets on the floor in the passenger and baggage areas. The dog had both a harness and a collar, each with a leash. I tied them off to the cross bar behind the seats. I left enough slack so that he could lay next to me but could not jump on me.

He was a bit nervous when we took off because of the turbulence and noise. I had to stay under 1800' for the first five minutes or so to remain under class C, and it was bumpy. He nuzzled next to me for comfort and I scratched his ears and head and he calmed down.

Once we cleared C I climbed to 6,500 and it was cool, calm, and smooth. He spent a few moments next to me then retired to the baggage area where he curled up on the blankets and went to sleep for the remainder of the trip.

Back