What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Why not build a twin?"

This is a common argument against twins and its lack of validity is easily established. The chances of an engine failure don't matter. What matters is the options you have available after a failure.

I always like to present the following scenario to twin nay-sayers. You and your spouse are on an island. Your spouse develops a strange illness and needs medical attention on the mainland ASAP or impending death could result. No ferries available, no boats to rent charter borrow or steal, no scheduled flights or charters planes available.

The airport operator has two planes he'll let you borrow. A single and a twin. But he warns you that both have wonky engines and it wouldn't shock him if either one had an engine failure in the next 40 minutes of flight. The mainland is a 90 minute flight. Assuming you're current and proficient in both singles and twins, which one you gonna take? I defy anyone to pick the single in that scenario.

Next time I'm in that scenario I'll let you know what I end up deciding.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Tim

Cool twin project

Here is a neat homebuilt twin for y'all
Check out this project. I hope the link works, if not it is worth the effort to copy and paste it to see it

Jim O'Hara's P-38

www.grayeagles.net/ARTICLES/Jim O'Hara's p-38.html

Jim O'Hara is a member of EAA chapter 493 in San Angelo, Texas. He is a retired college ... Fifteen years ago, he began construction of a 2/3 scale P-38.

How about it Van?

None of us buys an RV to save money. Just look at the people queued up to build RV14's with an engine big enough to power a six seat aircraft. There is no shortage of people who want to shell out heaps of $'s for expensive aftermarket mods. If you can build a reliable single engine RV or Rocket you can do the same with a twin.

Personally, I'd build any twin engine kit that Van brought to the market just because I would love to build and fly one. No one in the industry can deliver such a quality, value for money kit.

Who wouldn?t rather have something new over the $40k annual machines on the market? I could never go back to "certified tax" where disgruntled old engineers hold owners to ransom all day long. These guys will be extinct before long and that?s reason enough to own the RV20.

How about it Van? Just tell me when to send the cheque? I bet the first Oshkosh demo rides are sold out months in advance and most of these naysayers will be drooling.

I figure a pair of 320/360's would be about right and not too much more in price than a single 540. I bet most of the punters will want 600hp a side though - so better have a turbine option.

C510 Mustang 1

What make & model jet was it?

The problem is not the make or model, it was the compressor wash that was done without flying and drying the engines , before it was put away.

It was quite a sequence of events in hindsight.

The morning of the dual oil pressure loss it was pulled out of a warm hangar into -26 deg C , then quickly filled with -26 deg C fuel before cranking up and doing a rolling checklist to avoid ice buildup before take off.

On take off we went through 3000 feet of light mixed icing in seconds.

13 minutes into the flight and passing 32500 for 38K planned, the master warning lit up. The RH oil pressure dropped to 2 psi from normal in less than 3 seconds. Right side was shut down as the pressure hit zero. While calling ATC for the turn around, the left side did the same as the right. I heard something that sounded like "Cheese is nice" from the other seat, then he looked at me and said we won't be shutting this one down.

The AMO was the same company that looked after the provincial air ambulance fleet at that time.

If you ask me, the heat from the oil in the PW615's was not sufficient to overcome the volume of cold in the -26 Deg fuel and the oil got too viscous in the filter elements (right after the heat exchangers) Or it was ice crystals from water in the oil system from the compressor wash.

The pressure in the LH engine recovered slightly before landing, but that was from the bypass valve unseating. Evidently the damage to the bearings was done while there was no pressure for a few moments (or minutes) before the bypass unseated.

To answer your question it was a Mustang 1 / C510.
The AMO, the owner and the PIC were all happy to believe the G1000 had a tiny brain fart. The truth hit home when the left side seized a few days later.

I am reminded the Robinson R44 helicopters have a lower engine failure rate per 100K hours with IO 540's than Bell 206's do with allison turbines.

The kit itself is north of $110K.

Add two IO-320's (what it uses), props, and a panel... you're into it another $100K easy. Interior, building, etc... you'll be $300K before it ever moves under it's own power. It'll be a sexy $300K though.

Yep, and a no "assembly required" Aztec can be had all day long for $40k today.

...that remaining $260k buys a lot of gas and parts.

Really nice flying twin kit here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutan_Defiant

RutanDefiantoutsideturn.jpg

twin engine, single prop

Along the lines of Bill R. (?How about putting two engines in the same engine compartment??):

A twin?s safety comes from redundancy, of course. Its problem is the sudden change in forces following engine failure. However, with just a single prop and two engines, the redundancy would be there for safety but without subsequent loss of control.

Lots of ways to do this. Here are two. The engines could be in-line, counter-rotating, driving a common alternator. Or they could be on the wings, each with its own alternator, connected to a common electric drive motor with a single prop; furthermore, consider that with no prop sticking out in front of each engine, the design would be more aerodynamic than the typical twin.
of8sgp.png
hry3pw.png

Could even use a battery bank in place of one of the engines. It's more than we could fit in our little planes, but it's a thought.

These guys are building one. A big investment to copy an airplane that never flew, and still hasn't. It's "historic significance" is, well, it never flew, but if it had, it would have been, huh? err.... I love the self justification we all do to support our own crazy ideas. I like these guys....
This is experimenting on a grand scale. Go for it....
http://bugatti100p.com/

Last very thorough annual on it was $6200

The annual on my RV-10 is around $150

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

If you are worried about the odds being twice as likely that you will have an engine failure because you have two engines then it would make sense that having zero engines would make it safer yet. :cool:

Actually.. I have some glider time and I thought it was extremely safe. I enjoyed it thoroughly.. so there might be something to what you're saying since I never worried about the engine quitting! :D

OMG that's amazing I want one..

Personally, I'd build any twin engine kit that Van brought to the market just because I would love to build and fly one. No one in the industry can deliver such a quality, value for money kit.

Exactly. I think the RV20 is a fantastic idea. OR, we can get them to make an RV-38! =)

Just about every home builder I've ever met has at one point or another been asked some form of 'why spend $X building this thing when you could spend $x and get a <insert low performing 1960's POS with **** radios **** paint **** interior **** performance> and be flying today with lots of money left over for fuel and maintenance'.

And every single time I've heard someone ask that, the homebuilder in question would immediately launch into a long diatribe about how when they get done they'll have a 'brand new plane that will cost far less than any other currently available new airplane and will perform far better than any currently available new or used airplane in its class' yada yada yada...

Some of the comments in this thread are really starting to remind me of a story involving a pot, a kettle and a certain very dark color. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Along the lines of Bill R. (?How about putting two engines in the same engine compartment??):

A twin?s safety comes from redundancy, of course. Its problem is the sudden change in forces following engine failure. However, with just a single prop and two engines, the redundancy would be there for safety but without subsequent loss of control.

Lots of ways to do this. Here are two. The engines could be in-line, counter-rotating, driving a common alternator. Or they could be on the wings, each with its own alternator, connected to a common electric drive motor with a single prop; furthermore, consider that with no prop sticking out in front of each engine, the design would be more aerodynamic than the typical twin.
of8sgp.png
hry3pw.png

Could even use a battery bank in place of one of the engines. It's more than we could fit in our little planes, but it's a thought.
What happens when the single electric drive motor fails?

What happens when the single electric drive motor fails?

And therein lies the problem with trying to design redundant systems...unless all the components are redundant and cross-strapped, you just move the single-point failure around.

We spend years on projects I work on engineering the single-string vs. dual-string designs, redundancy, hot-swapping, cross-strapping, single-fault tolerance exceptions, etc. Not an easy task...

And therein lies the problem with trying to design redundant systems...unless all the components are redundant and cross-strapped, you just move the single-point failure around.

We spend years on projects I work on engineering the single-string vs. dual-string designs, redundancy, hot-swapping, cross-strapping, single-fault tolerance exceptions, etc. Not an easy task...

...but Boeing and McDonald-Douglas engineers did a good job over the years, the systems worked well and still do.

Such redundancy is not practical at this level - few can afford it.

The operation is loaded with single points of failure starting with the engine and prop, that's the way it is and we live with it quite well. Know the limits, accept the risk and stay in the box. It is not as safe as watching TV but worth it.

Hanging 2 engines won't make it better but it will cost a lot more.

I can't believe 5 hours went by and nobody else noticed...
Autoreply, welcome to VansAirforce!
:)

Let's spoil this topic with some of the wilder variants. Most (not all) of them feasible IMHO.

Airelle. Flew, but underpowered (2X40 hp for a two-seater...)
20802d1353160202-interesting-aircraft-dsc03117.jpg

TT62 Alekto. Excellent plane where it concerns demonstrating wing/prop interference, drive-train issues, interference and intersection drag...
20822d1353176700-interesting-aircraft-1975443.jpg

A conceptual design of one of HBA's members. If you can get over the TV issues of the drive shaft, it seems like a perfectly reasonable design for a wide range of engines.
19452d1345441118-twin-fuse-race-plane-pp-1.jpg

Same author, but way up in terms of complexity:
14666d1321899234-twin-fuse-race-plane-twin-rp-4.jpg

One of the wilder ideas. Push-pull with a pusher engine on the fuselage pod, allowing to shift the prop arc of the tractor engine fwd, otherwise close to the Be141:
1576d1209021518-just-starting-out-2.jpg

A single-seater on two half-VW's or so.
31009d1395621935-some-design-musings-hammerhead-dirt-runway.jpg

Gumbo. Fairly far along in the build process, Reno racer with two IO-720's:
6827d1275750552-windshield-material-top-iso.jpg

Personally I'd fancy something with 2+2 seats and 2X 100 hp. Either a scaled down Rutan Boomerang, or something between the Powers & Bashforth Minimaster and the Cessna 337, either with fixed gear.

It's not practical but it's fun to think of two RV4's in an F-82 configuration. I think someone photo-shopped up something like that. It would be a head turner. Definitely in the philosophical opposite direction from what Richard V. has been doing all these years.

It's not practical but it's fun to think of two RV4's in an F-82 configuration. I think someone photo-shopped up something like that. It would be a head turner. Definitely in the philosophical opposite direction from what Richard V. has been doing all these years.

Actually Van himself came up with this idea back in the early to mid '90s. He published it in the RVator as an April Fools joke. He later regretted it when people tried to order kits. It was to be the RV-8, the first 4 place, twin engine, retractable RV.

Twin Twister

Here's another of the twin-fuselage aircraft - taken from the Twister website:

gtwsr-2014.jpg

I kinda like the synchronized props.

Dave

What software does one typically use for designing an aircraft these days?

CAD I assume, but what about virtual flight testing to make sure the thing will actually perform? etc..

What software does one typically use for designing an aircraft these days?

CAD I assume, but what about virtual flight testing to make sure the thing will actually perform? etc..

With a light airplane like an RV? Excel.

Really, software isn't necessary, but it sure makes some things easier/less tedious. It doesn't replace actually knowing what you're doing, though.

HAHAHAHA That's funny...

Except it's not.

Most of the work in designing an airplane like this is calculation, and a lot of it is repetitive and/or iterative. Excel makes that process less tedious. CAD is useful but it doesn't design for you; CFD and FEA take a lot of skill and experience to be used properly, and except for very special cases light airplanes don't warrant them.

Remember, Van designed the early RVs without CAD or other fancy tools, as did other notable homebuilt designers.

Excel

With a light airplane like an RV? Excel.

Really, software isn't necessary, but it sure makes some things easier/less tedious. It doesn't replace actually knowing what you're doing, though.

The right tool for the right job. John Roncz (Voyager wings and prop, RV-9X wing) wrote a series of articles in the 1990s when Sport Aviation actually had some content. His tool? Excel. And you can build the same Excel spreadsheets he did.

Have a look here:
https://rtfmaero.wordpress.com/library/downloads/

There are any number of excellent books about it all. One that I especially like is Perkin's and Hage's "Airplane Performance Stability and Control." It's oriented to the guy with a slide rule, pencil and paper, and is a good one-book reference. Having a calculator or spreadsheet, you'll be far ahead of the fellow back in 1960 who used the book.

It doesn't include structural design, though.

Dave

Twins

In the early 50's, Harold Wagner from Portland OR joined two Piper PA11 fuselages together with a prop spacer to allow the props to overlap. He later put two engines on the front of a Piper Tri Pacer.
Someone else joined two Ercoupes together similar to the PA11's.
Google twin engine piper tripacer for photos.

Vans RV38???...

For me, if I were to build a twin it would have to be something akin to a P38 or a Pond racer.. something silly sexy that I just enjoy to fly..

Practicality would go completely out the window.

3 RV8 fuselages
2 empanages
2 pairs of wings (only partial on 2nd set - root section)
2 fire wall forwards
1 finish kit

Room for retracts in the side hulls and nose of center section.
Pair of IO320's.
A little engineering and the ultimate RV play toy.

Guns optional.

Amen! They have been making Aircraft for a lot longer than there have been computers.. the magic is knowing what to calculate..

One reason it's "magic" is that the fundamental equation for fluid dynamics - the Navier-Stokes equation - has no known general solution in 3 dimensions. IF you can find one, it's worth $1,000,000; this is one of the so-called millennium prizes in mathematics.

There always the Gemini which never got produced by Zenith...

And the Dyn Aero Twin R, which flew 4 years ago but the company subsequently went bankrupt and was acquired. 2 x 100 hp Rotax 912 ULS motors and 2+2 seating. It was listed as a kit but there was talk of certification, which seems to almost guarantee you'll never be able to actually buy one... the MCR 4S on which it was based appears to still be available though.

TWIN2-bg3.jpg

Something more capable, like an RV-10T with pair of IO-340s might do the trick? (would it still fly on 1 engine?)

Last edited:
Back