What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection Cost $$$

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I would like to hear from some of you that did not build your RV's. What should I expect to pay for an A&P to perform a condition inspection on my aircraft. Roughly on an RV 4, 6, 7 or 8. Again just a ball park what it would cost for a local A&P to assist me with my condition inspection and sign off the aircraft.

$750, Plus:
. Cost of materials and parts needed for routine maintenance & alterations
. Labor for repairs/modifications either requested or required ($65/hr)
. Hangar rent while waiting for needed equipment for alterations/mods, if kept in my hangar($200/mo, prorated)

IF OWNER ASSISTED:
$1000, Plus:
. Everything listed above

Well..... I don’t currently do condition inspections on other’s aircraft, but probably will when I get my A&P this winter. I’ve done numerous condition inspections on my airplanes and assisted in numerous condition inspections on other airplanes with a local A&P, and this is what I will charge, which is right in line with what he does. We won’t be competing - there’s plenty of work out there for us both.

Last edited:
I?ve paid anywhere between $500 to $5,000 for mine. By far the highest quality inspection was the lowest cost inspection. The difference? The lowest cost inspection was done by an A&P who knew RVs and worked primarily on experimental aircraft. He is also a tech counselor in our EAA chapter.

We worked together, side by side, for three days. A great condition inspection, lots of information and friendly time shared. Of course oil, shop supplies, and other parts were an additional $250 extra bringing total cost closer to $750.

Hint: look for an A&P who knows RVs and is familiar with experimental aircraft. My experience is that a regular A&P will spend more time, accomplishing less and charge more than one who?s primary service market is experimental aircraft.

Don?t be surprised to find your first condition inspection with an A&P also your most expensive. Someone unfamiliar with your plane will uncover issues that probably will need to be addressed that the builder considered okay. New eyes always see issues others have missed.

$350 to $700
Just depends; many owners open the whole aircraft up for inspection.
That saves time. Any mods or maintenance push the cost higher.

Rolf
RV6 N9EY
Petaluma CA

My A&P allows me to do mine. He comes behind me at completion to check work, ask questions, and sign the log books. Some years, its $100, other years its $200.

Just for clarification; an inspection CANNOT be delegated. The inspector may allow you to open up the aircraft, etc. but he/she MUST perform the inspection him/herself.

I do the work, and never more than $200 *for the inspection* since 1994. But the a&ps have been friends who knew they could trust my work and they could spend their time inspecting. If the mech does all the work, expect a lot more $.

And a dose of reality: there's no guarantee that an a&p with only certified experience will understand what's *not* required on an exp, or how to find the service bulletins that are *needed* on your a/c.

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK

Gentelmen, thank you for all the suggestions. As always, this is a great forum for assistance.

Just for clarification; an inspection CANNOT be delegated. The inspector may allow you to open up the aircraft, etc. but he/she MUST perform the inspection him/herself.

Mel, you forgot to add what you charge, if you do these with all your other work. I have mine done by a different inspector every year to get new eyes on it even if it ends up costing me more but at least I know I'm doing all I can do make it safe for my friends and me.

Do you have time to do condition inspections on airplanes in the area (hint hint, I'm in East Texas ;) )

Mine cost $1,200 by A&P AI the first year and a little less the second year in the inflated Boston area. I provided some help taking apart, putting together and looking over his shoulder. Didn’t save me anything but I was interested in learning. May have even cost me! :rolleyes:

Back