What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some Analysis Paralysis

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
OK, as you may have seen I recently got all the Garmin goodies for my panel including: GDU460, engine monitor kit, GSU25, GMU11, comm radio, 305 autopilot head, GPS20A, GDL50R, GEA24, GTX35R, connector kits for all.

I'd like to talk to someone who has wired this (or similar) before. Get some advice on types and quantity of wire to buy. Maybe you have a wiring diagram you'd be willing to share/sell. Advice on placement for particular units, etc.

PM me if you think you'd be willing to help.

Appreciate it,

Tom

Sounds like a very nice set of equipment Tom - you’ll like it!

I am afraid that I don;t have the time to help with a project like that, but I can relate some experince. I have done a fair number fo clean-sheet wiring designs for EFIS-equipped airplanes, and even when you already understand the basics (and more) of how the boxes al talk to each pother, it can still take a quite a few hours to figure out how all of the pins go together. Lots and lots of flipping through example drawings in the Garmin manuals to make sure that all of the wires go to the right places.

If you enjoy that kind of thing, and the learning that comes with it (I most definitely do!), then sit down with the manuals, and get to it. If, however, you are looking at a time vs. money equation, you can call up the guys at Stein, and for a pretty reasonable figure, they will produce a custom wiring drawing for you. Heck, they’ve probably already got the design done for that combination, having done so many hundreds of different ones....

They can also build you a custom harness for whatever that costs - but personally, I think the diagram is a cost-effective service, and I enjoy doing my own harnesses.

Whatever way you go, the end result is goign to make you go “wow!” The first time you fly with it.

Paul

Back