What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aluminum cowling

drdriddle

has anyone made or seen an aluminum cowling, instead of the usual fiberglass one? Just curious. thread search didn't bring back any hits

Aluminum Cowl

If the purpose of your aluminum cowl is to match a polished aircraft, why not have it wraped in a chrome film. Just an idea...

Years ago at Oshkosh, I saw a -6 that had covered most of the fiberglass cowling in polished aluminum. Not a true aluminum cowl, but it got a lot of attention.

dateposted-public

First attempt at post a photo. Does this link work?

Short answer - yes!

Longer answer - I have seen an RV-6 that had no fiberglass parts - all cowling, tips, and fairings were done by a builder who was expert in metal shaping, and done in aluminum.

Sad answer - I have no idea now who it was - I think I might have seen it in Texas, if that helps.....

There was an RV at the homecoming fly-in at Independence a few years ago... It had all aluminum parts. Lots of skill went into making those rounded bits.

It would be a huge effort.
Metal cowlings are usually many pieces to keep the forming to a minimum. Nose bowl, lower half, armature or frame work, and hinged side covers. It would be a huge effort and a difficult one if you expected it to look anything like the stock cowl.
I hope someone can find pictures of that 6.

Mike in Waco TX has the 6.
Here is my friends 8.
Bagged and glue, a few rivets then cut in for paint.

21dmqfk.jpg

Will post 1 more pic shortly.

Boomer

Reposting Steve B. 's flicker photo from above.

TobYKCYTe7d7145LNbeYHcRcxshg5mgM_QjiUV62j27EfeaZg4S-42-Mr3zDgLO6dqdGfJCQX5EF778TcTgbHkm0FbccYR0cb0pbMvxvNl6g8ciSZZuvKk-RzRTIBJjsGgIIE1Mk6TiOQjK_CBHp75JJKyO3AHGPuK0rTsyfEIbX4ksapUgYX8fFcR-xOL1UjqVv_dR9CiUDHQypH7NbWwuDCtx9xN5aKTvzN0f4NQEe9vmbSKYlW9U8_Z7l5wjgbxA1Xn3WllZdpByKxevTzlpPsrRjd5GjxluZam-dZf7zJMblm4fAZnh5_tJEwsNOumpej3ahI-qhlnvgKJWQhDct8LCjXuNZpDaBYWdhRZ1QR1fyhzYgE3ztFFlbojTUTV_4rGG3sqfEolgd_wPRylch8zcIMgbv_482Tls7Ors_UGk1IgSeFjZGeuMUxlh2N-kPNw5om5JtVr5ZttbkjS6i-g8AcPrc_7AHt9f715RN7BFtrn2bQP2qfsultQFYBFKbPP4wTYY8y-cyR_HHVSFVjZ6xI4UD0GFfSb38X44bg0az6NmbGYljd0UqfXF8SAeKteS2bw9VZlRGvWYuJEJLwkeTgkGIu47NvGb1XS9jF5yHN_OA_LGihIko8FtlIdedcM_czrIx8u4rZID-katTjmvAe5bIYsENN9Ixs9g35CZnrKLzod3BYBMzalemcJZVVReqY5syjCI-oU006jlo=w900-no

Couple of thoughts
I hope that engine is going in a RV16
That?s 200+ hrs work on cowl
Like the tools on rack in back.
I like the car
Must have English wheel hidden somewhere

Boomer

Lazze metal shaping

Speaking of an English wheel, there's a guy named Lazze who does some great YouTube videos showing his metal shaping techniques. I could watch these videos for hours.

cowl picture

The engine is a Mercruiser V8. 1650 hp. 2 of these in an offshore racing catamaran. It does fly, just very low!
I made the cowling for my 7. I think it would have worked, but I was not sure about the aerodynamics, cooling or strength. I ended up going to the stock cowl. Found one here on VAF. My reasoning came down to fact that it was my first airplane build and I had no tailwheel time. Too many unknows for my skill level.
It's made out of 5052 alloy, some 3003. All .040.

weight

I would be curious how much the all aluminum cowling weighs as compared to a fiberglass cowling. Is it a worthwhile endeavor from a weigh standpoint?

cowl weight

The al. cowl weighs 15lb. as is. I don't think an aluminum cowl would ever make sense from a weight standpoint. Or really any reason. It would look cool though!
In the early 80s I went to California and went to Dick Troutmans shop. He built the early chaparal race car bodies among other things. A very acomplished and well known metalshaper. I told him that I was interested in metalshaping and wanted to learn more. He look up from the fender he was making and said "why would you want to waste your time on something like that"
I still love metalshaping

The al. cowl weighs 15lb. as is. I don't think an aluminum cowl would ever make sense from a weight standpoint. Or really any reason. It would look cool though!
In the early 80s I went to California and went to Dick Troutmans shop. He built the early chaparal race car bodies among other things. A very acomplished and well known metalshaper. I told him that I was interested in metalshaping and wanted to learn more. He look up from the fender he was making and said "why would you want to waste your time on something like that"
I still love metalshaping

I think Dick Troutman worked at North American during WWII making panels for P51s. Kent White knew him and has talked about him. He was a legend. Let's face it, making your own airplane doesn't make much sense either, but it is a blast. So making all the parts out of aluminum just for the challenge is an entirely appropriate thing to do as an expression of your individuality, creativity etc. I hope that cowling goes on an airplane on day, and that it is polished.

I love the metal, but..

I am a metal guy at heart, and love wheeling,hammering and forming metal more than anything. Back in the 30's and 40's almost every airplane had artwork in metal all over it,and fiberglass wasn't even a word yet.. I deeply pondered making all my -4 glasswork out of metal, especially after seeing the -6 mentioned. But, I also make my living repairing,maintaining and restoring airplanes and can say the metal cowlings are not easy to keep from shaking apart and wearing into everything. In the RV arena, I believe we are far better off with the fiberglass components for durability and repairability. On a metal note, the Hughes Racer replica (now long gone) made me drool...pure beauty.

23l1hmx.jpg

This is the plane Bill is talking about.

Did not survive trip home from OSH.
Sad situation

Boomer

Back