What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman's Certificate

lrush8

I'm New Here
I have built a RV12 ELSA. I have taken the 16 hour course and have a Repairman Certificate from the FAA for that airplane which I sold. I am now about to purchase another RV 12 ELSA and want to do the work on it as well as the condition inspection. What is necessary to accomplish this task ?

Unless the rules have changed, your certificate is only good for the one airplane you built. You can still do all the work as with any experimental, but the CI would have to be signed off.

Unless the rules have changed, your certificate is only good for the one airplane you built. You can still do all the work as with any experimental, but the CI would have to be signed off.

You're confusing ELSA with EAB. With ELSA, after you receive the repairman certificate, you may perform condition inspection on any ELSA that you own so long as it is in the same class as your certificate. You are correct that the certificate has nothing to do with maintenance. Anyone can perform maintenance on an ELSA.

Last edited:
I think you need to get the FAA to add the new N number and serial number to your certificate. I looked at my certificate and it has the N number and serial number on it. So I presume it is just filling out a form and taking it to the FSDO, but I have never done it.

I know that the certificate let's you sign off the condition inspection on any ELSA you own, but I think you need to add the new aircraft to the certificate.

I think you need to get the FAA to add the new N number and serial number to your certificate. I looked at my certificate and it has the N number and serial number on it. So I presume it is just filling out a form and taking it to the FSDO, but I have never done it.
I know that the certificate let's you sign off the condition inspection on any ELSA you own, but I think you need to add the new aircraft to the certificate.

You are correct.

Thanks guys . . . great information.
I plan on attending the 16 hour course, next April, with Rainbow in Florida.

ditto. Once you own the plane (you or someone else built, but registered E-LSA), you visit the FSDO and can get a new certificate with your new N#/Serial# on it, which allows you to do conditional inspections. You'll need to bring your course completion certificate with you again to fsdoville. And if its E-AB (some rv-12's are registered this way), then if YOU built it then you are eligible to get a repairman certificate for it which allows you to do the "conditional/annual" inspection (and of course, anyone who can breathes air and has a pulse is allowed to work on it - E-AB or E-LSA).

Also, after some research, it would appear that if you created an LLC or corp to hold the E-LSA plane (because of a partnership, liability purposes, etc etc), then the 16-hour course doesn't do you any good because YOU do not own the plane [the LLC does]. Even if you write up an "agreement" to have your LLC lease the plane back to YOU for your own personal use, YOU don't "own" the plane. I believe in these rare cases, you'd actually need the LSRM 2 week course.

Last edited:
Repairman Certificate

Mel & everyone else ! Thanks ! FSDO here has never done this before & after talking to EAA I gave them the name of the person I spoke with there. The procedure is like Mel said ! They add the N number & Serial number onto my certificate and I should be good to go.

ditto. Once you own the plane (you or someone else built, but registered E-LSA), you visit the FSDO and can get a new certificate with your new N#/Serial# on it, which allows you to do work and annuals.

Almost correct (so only adding this correction to try and spred the word on one of the most mis-understood details regarding experimental category aircraft).

The repairmans certificate only gives the holder approval to do the annual condition inspection (whether it be ELSA or E-AB)
It has nothing to do with maintenance, repairs, etc.

Anyone can do maint, repairs, even rebuild the airplane after being badly damaged, and sign off the work when completed.
There is no certification requirement for any of that work.

The only certification requirement is that the airplane has had a condition inspection completed and signed off by someone certified to do it (such as repairmans certificate holder) within the previous 12 months.

Small Clarafication.....

ditto. Once you own the plane (you or someone else built, but registered E-LSA), you visit the FSDO and can get a new certificate with your new N#/Serial# on it, which allows you to do work and annuals. You'll need to bring your course completion certificate with you again to fsdoville.

Just a reminder that the Repairman Certificate (LSRI) does not relate to maintenance. Only the condition inspection. Anyone can do maintenance on an ELSA.

Just a reminder that the Repairman Certificate (LSRI) does not relate to maintenance. Only the condition inspection. Anyone can do maintenance on an ELSA.
When I applied for my LSR-I cert at the FSDO, one of the guys there told me before I left -- "Remember, that certificate doesn't allow you to do any maintenance or repairs on your airplane, ONLY the condition inspection. Nothing else."

At first I just decided to smile, nod, let him be wrong, and leave. Then on my way home, I realized that he was 100% correct, even if not for the right reason. :) The fact that I have opposable thumbs allows me to perform maintenance and repairs.

The repairmans certificate only gives the holder approval to do the annual condition inspection (whether it be ELSA or E-AB)
It has nothing to do with maintenance, repairs, etc.

absolutely correct.. and i know better too. that was a slip of the tongue. ive corrected my post.

Back