What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone testing Garmin's ESP system in the G3X

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
We are putting together a presentation, for our EAA IMC Club meeting, on Garmin's G3X ESP system. We are using an RV-9A with Garmin G3X panel for the flight tests. Has anyone configured ESP on their RV? Would like to compare notes.

I have and mine is by default on. Only during some special maneuvers, practicing stalls, rolls, etc. I will turn it off. It works very effectively.
Any questions/concerns?

Curious about the over speed condition. Only thing I have seen indicates it will increase the pitch angle to slow the plane down. How does it keep from increasing a graveyard spiral?

If I am not mistaking, the max/minimum speed is the function of the A/P and the warnings that it will generate.
The ESP is largely based on the settings in the configuration and it is meant to prevent unsafe maneuvers. If you bank past a certain angle that was set in the config, the ESP will gently push the stick to correct for over banking and the amount of force on the stick increases as that overbanking in degrees will increase.
If your pitch is too high that is getting close to stall, the stick will push forward to prevent that and if you are getting to a unusual attitude, the A/P will engage in a LVL flight mode. Of course all of these are accompanied by a warnings and to let you know that the A/P has been engaged.

First I have heard of this feature. Sounds nice, maybe Boeing should consult with Garmin about their MCAS system. Just kidding 😀

Curious about the over speed condition. Only thing I have seen indicates it will increase the pitch angle to slow the plane down. How does it keep from increasing a graveyard spiral?

Because it would level the wings as well.

I have it on all the time in my 14.

I just had a flight review last week and I demoed it to the CFI. You can overpower the servo's but it will fight you. When it pushes the stick in pitch or roll the AP is not engaged and it will relax pressure as soon as you are back within the flight envelope. To disengage you have to go into the menu's to turn it off or remove power to the servos.

If you fight long enough it will engage the AP in LVL mode. Of course you can disengage the AP in that case. If you cut power with the AP engaged it will not let the plane get outside of the envelope.

Works well and I've started referring to it as MCAS!

I have it on all the time in my 14.

I just had a flight review last week and I demoed it to the CFI. You can overpower the servo's but it will fight you. When it pushes the stick in pitch or roll the AP is not engaged and it will relax pressure as soon as you are back within the flight envelope. To disengage you have to go into the menu's to turn it off or remove power to the servos.

If you fight long enough it will engage the AP in LVL mode. Of course you can disengage the AP in that case. If you cut power with the AP engaged it will not let the plane get outside of the envelope.

Works well and I've started referring to it as MCAS!

Just an FYI, if you touch the AP "scoreboard" you can turn ESP on/off easily, no real menus to go into.

You can also select engage the AP or not during extended envelope protection in the setup menu if you don't want the AP to automatically engage.

Back