What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log book entry for phase 1

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Looking for more info on the log book entry after the phase 1 and what items need to be covered, (i.e. tested for Instrument, night flying, etc.)

Would appreciate any hints as where to find the paragraph/text.

Looking for more info on the log book entry after the phase 1 and what items need to be covered, (i.e. tested for Instrument, night flying, etc.)
Would appreciate any hints as where to find the paragraph/text.

It's all listed in your operating limitations.

from my op lims:

2zhmrls.jpg

Thank you everyone, I will check out my operating limitation in the log book tomorrow and see if it is all there.

Thank you everyone, I will check out my operating limitation in the log book tomorrow and see if it is all there.

Hopefully you do not mean that they are in your log book....

They are part of your airworthiness certificate and must be carried in the airplane during flight (I am assuming you don't carry your log book in the airplane).

When you retrieve your documents from the plane, scan them, and print a copy to put in your airframe logbook.

When you retrieve your documents from the plane, scan them, and print a copy to put in your airframe logbook.

Yep, I second this commotion! I always encourage my applicants to make a copy or two of the airworthiness certificate and operating limitations to keep with their aircraft records. That way you leave the originals in the aircraft at all times and won't get caught short with an illegal aircraft if you get ramp checked someday down the road.

I've come across several aircraft over the years where the owner/operator has no idea where the operating limitations are, and don't realize that the aircraft is not "airworthy" without the operating limitations being onboard. People take them out to check something (usually to look up the verbiage for signing off the condition inspection or phase one completion) and end up leaving them laying on the bench or with the logbooks. They don't get put back in the airplane and sometimes end up getting lost. Not good! Make a copy for your reference and leave the originals in the airplane! That way you're covered on both ends.

Hopefully you do not mean that they are in your log book....

They are part of your airworthiness certificate and must be carried in the airplane during flight (I am assuming you don't carry your log book in the airplane).

Sadly, I had thought it was in my log book but now I believe I know which doc you are referring to. The airworthiness cert is in the airplane along with the registration card.

The airworthiness cert is in the airplane along with the registration card.

Make sure that the operating limitations document is in the aircraft as well. It is a multi-page document that was issued along with, and as a part of, the airworthiness certificate. The entire document must be in the aircraft. More times than we'd care to admit, the little pink airworthiness certificate is in the aircraft, but the operating limitations are back on the bench in the hangar (or lost all together).

The new airworthiness certificates now print the whole works as one document, so it is now harder to launch without the operating limitations onboard. But there are only a hand full of aircraft that have the new version. Most of our aircraft have the pink airworthiness certificate as a separate piece of paper.

Just make sure you have the whole works in the aircraft and you're good to go.

Make sure that the operating limitations document is in the aircraft as well. It is a multi-page document that was issued along with, and as a part of, the airworthiness certificate. The entire document must be in the aircraft. More times than we'd care to admit, the little pink airworthiness certificate is in the aircraft, but the operating limitations are back on the bench in the hangar (or lost all together).

The new airworthiness certificates now print the whole works as one document, so it is now harder to launch without the operating limitations onboard. But there are only a hand full of aircraft that have the new version. Most of our aircraft have the pink airworthiness certificate as a separate piece of paper.

Just make sure you have the whole works in the aircraft and you're good to go.

Thank you Joe, the document was in the plane until just a few days ago, which I had not realized that it needs to remain in plane. I have not put it back in the plane.
Just to confirm, once out of phase one I does not need to remain in plane or should it still be kept there?

Just to confirm, once out of phase one I does not need to remain in plane or should it still be kept there?

As I understand it, the OpLims need to stay in the plane at all times it is operated.

Congrats on getting the Phase 1 taken care of.

People, People, People.........

Thank you Joe, the document was in the plane until just a few days ago, which I had not realized that it needs to remain in plane. I have not put it back in the plane.

PLEASE READ YOUR OPERATING LIMITATIONS. This question comes up far too often. The following limitation is contained in ALL Operating Limitations issued to Experimental Aircraft, and has been for many many decades.

"These operating limitations are a part of FAA Form 8130-7 and are to be carried in the aircraft at all times and be available to the pilot in command of the aircraft."

It's even stated on the Airworthiness Certificate itself.

Yep, what Mel said! Operating limitations need to be in the aircraft AT ALL TIMES. Make sure they're there.

Cheers!

Thank you everyone for educating me on this. I have now moved it back to the airplane will remain there. I had always thought that only the pink slip is required to stay along with registration.

Mike,
I still have some more flying to do before getting out of jail. another 10 hours or so. But things are going very well.

Happy holidays

Back