What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement for Terra 760D digital comm

Ham

I have a Terra 760D digital comm radio in my RV-4 which I'm thinking of replacing. I don't want to re-do the panel, I just want to slide a different radio into the (small) spot. Becker and Microair seem to be the alternates.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Hammy
C-GWYR

The Becker and Microaire radios fit in a 2.25" hole. I don't know of a radio that would fit in a Terra size slot.

When I did my -6A I used a Terra radio and transponder since the glider used them. Figured a spare would be nice, and it is with Terra. Added a second radio later and designed and built a simple audio panel.

I carry a spare Terra digital between the seats with an Allen wrench ready to replace it in flight. Haven't had to yet, but they are not the best and are hard to get repaired now.

Suggest you might just get a spare.

Microair

I have a Microair. I don't have any complaints. I like the 2nd channel monitor function of the Microair and it comes wired for aux audio input (I use my Ipod).

Terra

I sent my Terra to a college in Texas and they have an avionics program and all the repair parts from Terra also new radios for sale at a good price goggle them and go to their web site.
Bob

TSTC in Waco ceased their Terra service program in Sept 2013 and is now referring Terra owners back to FreeFlight Systems, who had originally handed off the Terra support line to TSTC back in 2009. FreeFlight Systems has a page on their website stating that they are in the process of re-establishing Terra product support which is good news to hear. I kinda like these old compact radios... had them in my old Cherokee, and would hate to see support for them to completely vanish.

Probably the best solution I could recommend would be to look at the Trig comm radio. Small, flat (not round), remote mount the main bos, and a really good product in my experience. I don't know if it'll exactly fit your spot, but it's closer than others mentioned.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

I have the Trig TY91 in my Pitts. It's a very good radio from my experience with it so far.

I used the 2.25" round mounting bracket with it for convenience and commonality with the panel cutouts, but as Stein said, it can squeeze into even less space than that.

My only criticism would be that I'd like to see a bit more contrast or some adjustability in the backlight so I can further delay vision correction for my ageing eyes ;). But that's pretty minor really, and it has performed well to date.

Back