What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KX 165 to EFIS?

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I don't exactly know how the KX165 outputs signal to the steam gauge nav indicator. Has anyone interfaced the KX165 to a Dynon or GRT EFIS to slave the graphic Nav indicator, including LOC/GS? Is this practical?

I believe that Dynon only takes a data line input such as the GARMIN serial bus or ARINC 429(via the ARINC converter) and the KX-165 only has analog outputs. So that means no, not without some sort of converter, that costs as much as a new radio.

as far as I know, that animal does not exist. easiest solution is a new radio. i went with the mgl v16 and love it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

as far as I know, that animal does not exist. easiest solution is a new radio. i went with the mgl v16 and love it.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

There is a path to convert from analog to ARINC, I have done this on corporate jets. Then ARINC to Skyview, but as I said it cost more than a used Garmin SL30 radio, like maybe 5X. And the SL30 can use the freq transfer function.

Last edited:

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Bob. Could you perhaps mean the MGL N16 Nav Radio? The V16 is a Com.

Jim

The GRT has analog inputs, and they can be used to drive the deviation and GS needles. Okay for ILS. But not for VOR data, which needs input from the OBS.

Back