What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting Aera660 to GDL52R issues?

sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
Anyone else have trouble connecting Aera660 to GDL52R and receiving XM weather?

Here is where I'm at:
Bluetooth connected between 2 confirmed
Serial 1 Aera 660 baud 57600 and it show GDL connected
XM antenna full bars
Tried to refresh radio 100 times now - account good

XM page continuously shows "SUBSCRIPTION UNKNOWN" - no data comes through except radio only because its free right now so I know antenna is working.

Not sure what else to try from here - anyone else have input?

Only thing I can think of is all other XM connections I've had have the radio ID on the antenna. This radio ID comes from the GDL I believe? I wonder if there is a discrepancy there.

Back when I had Sirius weather, you had to have the receiver outside and turned on when the satellites were broadcasting your device's own enabling signal, something like that. That might be your problem

You may need to call them and confirm both your radio I.D. and your WX subscription and have them send down a refresh signal.

Anyone else have trouble connecting Aera660 to GDL52R and receiving XM weather?

Here is where I'm at:
Bluetooth connected between 2 confirmed
Serial 1 Aera 660 baud 57600 and it show GDL connected
XM antenna full bars
Tried to refresh radio 100 times now - account good

XM page continuously shows "SUBSCRIPTION UNKNOWN" - no data comes through except radio only because its free right now so I know antenna is working.

Not sure what else to try from here - anyone else have input?

Only thing I can think of is all other XM connections I've had have the radio ID on the antenna. This radio ID comes from the GDL I believe? I wonder if there is a discrepancy there.
Hello Steve,

If you are outside with a good signal, have an active subscription, and issue the refresh, the unit should activate the subscription within a few minutes.

When you go to the Tools, Datalink page, the Radio ID is shown. You are correct that the Radio ID is specific to the GDL 52, not anything else.

When you command a refresh from the SXM web page, does it indicate everything is ok, or does it tell you that there is no subscription for the entered Radio ID?

This shouldn't have anything to do with the reported issue, but you mention you have both a Bluetooth link and an RS-232 link. Only one is required, and since you have a hardwired link, I would turn off the Bluetooth.

Thanks,
Steve

Wilco

I tried turning off Bluetooth but I will try that again. Does the 3D vision transmit via Bluetooth or is that RS232 as well? When I select Serial 1 and 57600 baud it automatically fills in the GDL information.

When I go to Datalink page it shows 3 green bars for XM antenna, SUBSCIPTION UNKNOWN, and then the Radio ID.

When I refresh online it gives me the green check mark.

I tried turning off Bluetooth but I will try that again. Does the 3D vision transmit via Bluetooth or is that RS232 as well? When I select Serial 1 and 57600 baud it automatically fills in the GDL information.

When I go to Datalink page it shows 3 green bars for XM antenna, SUBSCIPTION UNKNOWN, and then the Radio ID.

When I refresh online it gives me the green check mark.
Hello Steve,

Yes, your GDL 52R provides the attitude data needed for the 3D Vision page in addition to traffic/weather and music control over both wired and wireless interfaces.

Which SXM antenna do you have connected to your GDL 52R? You may contact us via the email shown below if that is easier.

Thanks,
Steve

Connect

Just to be clear mine is gdl51r for xm weather only. Sorry for mislabel in subject line but shouldn?t be issue.

I have the standard xm antenna with tnc connector. I don?t know part number. Would this make a difference?

I believe it?s GA24
Hello Steve,

The GA 24 TNC antenna should work well.

At this point it seems that another call to SXM might be in order. Since you have full signal bars, and can tune channel 1 and hear the SXM promotional audio, it seems your receiver and antenna are working fine.

Thanks,
Steve

Back