What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-Lancair Brotherhood Day

snopercod

Well Known Member
Today my RV-12 buddy Owen and I met at Spartanburg, SC [KSPA] for lunch. He flew down from 3NR3 and I from AVL. The FBO loaned us a crew van and we drove about a mile to Fudrucker's for a $30 hamburger. It was fun. (Cue "Ebony and Ivory" with the words "Aluminum and Fiberglass") :D

LvJX9p.jpg

I recognize that parking space where you were parked! I parked my Cirrus there when I attended Don Rivera's Fuel Injection 101 seminar last month. :D

I've seen that Lancair somewhere. Have you visited Marathon FL couple months ago?

Downtown

Neat! May I suggest the Greenville Downtown cafe next time? Just a few miles away, cafe next to the ramp and good food. Check the hours though, just to be sure they're open when you're hungry.
Patrick

My son in law is getting transferred to Ft Brag this summer so we will be out there later in the year to see grandkids. He is Air Force so it should be interesting for him on the Army base.

I've seen that Lancair somewhere. Have you visited Marathon FL couple months ago?
Not me, Vlad. Mine still has the lower part of the cowling in gray primer where I blistered it out for my new exhaust. Now that the weather is warming up, I may actually paint it when I can scrape together $255 for a quart of Imron. :eek:

Neat! May I suggest the Greenville Downtown cafe next time?
That's a good place and you can walk right into the restaurant from the ramp. 10% discount if you fly in. At Rutherfordton, the tiny little 10-seat cafe is unique. Hickory has world-class cheeseburgers and a warbird museum, too. That's all the fly-in spots that I know of around Asheville. I'm looking for more and there are several RV guys at AVL who would like to come along next time.

Oh, since you're JohnnybGoode, here's a short video for you (turn it up!): https://www.dropbox.com/s/knhrdat6qgz0m2m/Marana Low Pass.mp4?dl=0

Hi John

Hi John... your Lancair friends miss you! Glad you are still doing your great videos.

Check in at Lancair Talk sometime. :)

Gordon

ES N144GP

Can I have a Green Card?

Thanks Gordon. I see that four or five of us Lancair guys have crossed the border illegally into Van's Air Force land. Maybe Doug needs to build a wall? Seriously, there's much more useful information over here than on the Lancairtalk forum. Please, Doug, can I have a green card?

That's a good place and you can walk right into the restaurant from the ramp. 10% discount if you fly in. At Rutherfordton, the tiny little 10-seat cafe is unique. Hickory has world-class cheeseburgers and a warbird museum, too. That's all the fly-in spots that I know of around Asheville. I'm looking for more and there are several RV guys at AVL who would like to come along next time.

Oh, since you're JohnnybGoode, here's a short video for you (turn it up!): https://www.dropbox.com/s/knhrdat6qgz0m2m/Marana Low Pass.mp4?dl=0

BQ1 at Carthedge and KMTV- blue ridge at Martinsville. You will like the Bar-B-Q at BQ1 and the meals and pie at KMTV are good with fuel at about the cheapest around, just try not to go on a race weekend, you will be out on the end of the line with all the race team jets taking the good parking spots.
Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks Gordon. I see that four or five of us Lancair guys have crossed the border illegally into Van's Air Force land. Maybe Doug needs to build a wall? Seriously, there's much more useful information over here than on the Lancairtalk forum. Please, Doug, can I have a green card?

John I will be personally petitioning the authorities to grant you RV citizenship bypassing green card. For your contributions here you deserve the passport right away. Thanks for being here.

BQ1 at Carthedge and KMTV- blue ridge at Martinsville.
Thanks for those tips. With a little more practice, I could probably land my Lancair in 2,500' at Carthedge. Landing distance is another area where the RV shines over the Lancair :(

Last edited:
I was hoping that you and/or Darwin had been at the airport Sunday morning. You could have gone with us!

Thanks for the offer John. :) I look forward to joining you.

SWMBO had my day fully booked on Sunday.

We were in the middle of that work when we discovered one of my bee hives had swarmed. We grabbed some gear to go get it and saw ANOTHER hive was swarming too! Arghh!. Fortunately had enough gear (unassembled) that we could quickly put together and get both of them.

The bee yard has quickly risen from 3 hives to 6 in the space of 2 weeks. :cool:

Long day that ended with a tall cool beverage as the sun set. :)

B-25 day

Owen and I flew down to GMU for lunch again. We both tried to get some others to come along, but some were sick and some were busy. Oh well, we had a great lunch and got to park next to a CAF B-25 from Wisconsin. Apparently some more warbirds will be flying in on Friday and giving rides.

wHZFwN.jpg

Pano from my iPad:
B9HH3v.jpg

Last edited:
That B-25, "Miss Mitchell" belongs to the Southern Minnesota Wing of the CAF, based at South St. Paul, MN, Fleming Field (KSGS).

Another outing

As I was closing the canopy to do some boring touch and goes at AVL, my RV buddy walked up and asked if I wanted to to the Western Part of NC. Heyal yeah! So we both launched off and flew down the Blue Ridge Parkway at 8,500'. Our first stop was Macon County [1A5]. I had never been there before.

FrSS5M.jpg

After BSing with the FBO staff for a while, we saddled up and flew further West to Andrews-Murphy, AKA Western Carolina Regional [KRHP]. I had never been there either.

pA0Kap.jpg

All in all it was a fun day, I got to fly someplace new and we encountered only light turbulence over the mountains. It sure beats pattern work!

Glad to see my neighbor and roomy are having fun! :)
We wish you had been there to come along! It was a rare, smooth day over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Here's what it looked like from my tail-cam. I had been planning to land on the numbers at 1A5 but landed longer so as not to take out the guy mowing the grass:

Blue Ridge Parkway

Rutherfordton

Owen and I met at Rutherfordton Co. [KFQD] for lunch at 57 Alpha Cafe. It's a quaint little place with about ten chairs inside, and some rocking chairs and picnic tables outside. Closed Mondays. (There was another beautiful blue RV-6 there, but the couple left before I could snap a photo.)

nSoJ7v.jpg

GMU for Father's Day

Three of us flew from the Asheville area to Greenville Downtown [GMU] for lunch today. Darwin took off right behind me from AVL and we demonstrated that his RV-4 is faster on climbout than a Lancair with it's gear down. Yup, like a dumb azz I forgot to raise my gear for a few minutes (how embarrassing for me). ATC actually had to de-conflict us so the RV-4 didn't chew my tail off! Traffic Alert!.

Lunch was great as always at the Runway Cafe and they gave us all a 20% discount for flying in. (I don't know if that discount is permanent or just for Father's Day.)
On the way back, I left 10 minutes before Darwin's little rocket ship.

Gq9e5Z.jpg

f21ISb.jpg

QTg047.jpg

RV-Lancair-Corby Starlet Day!

We had a crew of four at GMU today, including an RV-12, RV-4, Lancair 235, and a beautiful Corby Starlet. While we were eating lunch and telling stories, it came to light that all four of us had either worked in a steel mill, had a parent who did, or had taken a tour of a steel mill back in the day. What are the odds of that these days?

We filled up the ramp:
WUD5pr.jpg

Leo's beautiful Starlet:
FJcOiq.jpg

Darwin and Leo:
bpr20M.jpg

Darwin, Owen, and Leo:
6JmBHt.jpg

Spartanburg

Three of us flew to Spartanburg Downtown [KSPA] for lunch today. After filling up with cheap gas, we took one of the two courtesy vans to Jason's Deli. There are many, many restaurants within a mile or two of the airport.

8wFcwl.jpg

jrUNCL.jpg

h6sGuC.jpg

Next time we hope JasonM will bring his new RV-10!

I just happened upon this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it as I'm from the KAVL area (grew up in Mills River and Etowah) and learned to fly at Hendersonville airport (0A7). Do you know if that Stearman was from Hendersonville? It looks like one that was hangered there when I was growing up learning to fly. I still get back that way every so often to visit my parents and would love to pay you guys some gas money to go for a ride some time. I'm starting a RV-10 build next month once my shop is finished so it'd be awesome to see/ride with some fellow RVators!

Zach

If your thinking of the Stearman that was the anchor for the WNCAM, no t is not there, owners sold it but there still is a 450 Stearman based there and the museum is still growing.

If your thinking of the Stearman that was the anchor for the WNCAM, no t is not there, owners sold it but there still is a 450 Stearman based there and the museum is still growing.

There were two that I recall. A red one and one that was blue/yellow like the one pictured a few pages back.

I remember the red one flying more. It was memorable due to seeing it come in over the trees/road in a slip to help slow down/descend. And the sound of those radials is a whole different experience as they taxi by!

Next time in this area look me up would be happy to put you in my RV-4. Most people around 0a7and AVL know where to find me.

Next time in this area look me up would be happy to put you in my RV-4. Most people around 0a7and AVL know where to find me.

That would be fantastic. I'm a FedEx guy so I jumpseat into GSP every so often to see my folks and the family and I are actually talking about heading that way next month (the wife and kiddos want to pick apples). I'll definitely look you and anyone else willing to fly with me/talk RV related topics to up.

Zach

The winter weather finally allowed some of us to meet up at GMU for lunch. Darwin had a previous engagement, but Owen, Steve and I made it.

Steve and Owen in front of Steve's beautiful RV-8, which he built:
3DuRYp.jpg

Steve and myself with my Lancair:
v3M9Hq.jpg

These two RVs were parked nearby, but I don't know who the owners are:
9NkyOw.jpg

The winter weather finally allowed some of us to meet up at GMU for lunch.

<snip>

These two RVs were parked nearby, but I don't know who the owners are:
9NkyOw.jpg

The yellow and white one is mine. I was up there for lunch with some folks on the Pilots of America board.

Pretty plane! Sorry we missed you! Heck, we were probably sitting right next to each other! Where did you fly in from?

I fly out of Cartersville, Ga.

Sorry I missed you guys. Did you also see the pretty -12 on the ramp? I saw the airplane taxi in, but didn't meet the owner.

Did you also see the pretty -12 on the ramp? I saw the airplane taxi in, but didn't meet the owner.
That was Owen! He was with our group, but parked well away from the "front row" so that's why he's not in the photo. If I heard right, Steve's RV-8 is Suburu powered. Hopefully he's on the forum and will provide us some more information.

Subie RV-8

...If I heard right, Steve's RV-8 is Suburu powered. Hopefully he's on the forum and will provide us some more information.

Or it would be cool if he'd bring his performance data over and post it on the "Alternative Engine" forum! :) FAA.gov doesn't list an engine type; just reciprocating.

Doug

RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF

Or it would be cool if he'd bring his performance data over and post it on the "Alternative Engine" forum! :) FAA.gov doesn't list an engine type; just reciprocating.

Doug

RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF

Hey guys, yes, the power plant is an early version Eggenfellener H6 3L engine with stock Subaru ECU. I typically plan on 155 knots at 2200 RPM and about 10 gals per hour at 7-8k altitude. I burn 93 octane auto gas with ethanol, so fuel costs are still pretty low with the high burn rate. I have not tried to optimize\lean the fuel burn as have seen many other Subaru's not fared that well in this endeavor and I know my knowledge limits. I think there is some work I good do to reduce drag, but I never seem to get the energy to pull off the cowl and work on it, much easier to simply go fly.

I have been flying this plane for about 10 years and have just over 700 hours.

Steve

We finally, FINALLY!, got some decent flying weather today, so Owen, Darwin and I saddled up and flew to Gwinnett County [LZU] for lunch today at the Flying Machine. It was roughly a 45 minute flight from Asheville, and the weather was clear, and smooth. On the way back, some scattered clouds had formed at ~6,000' over Toccoa, with associated light turbulence underneath. It was fun!

jxiYiF.jpg

M3JeKL.jpg

A3Tf0L.jpg

Reinforcements!

The RV contingent called in reinforcements from as far away as the Atlanta area; I was vastly outnumbered, and parked in back so as not to take away from those four beautiful RVs. We all took the courtesy van to Jason's Deli in Spartanburg. After lunch the RV-4s did some formation flying.

r6klBi.jpg

MiLbil.jpg

nmBpDi.jpg

IN7XmE.jpg

HZKdPV.jpg

I need to join you guys some day! I have seen you guys at various NC/SC locations, and I'm always looking for new "local" interesting places.

It was cold and windy, but we had another fly-out to Rutherfordton [KFQD] for lunch today. It was a short hop over the mountains (18 minutes) from Asheville, but the enchiladas were worth it. http://www.57alpha.com/

yIQY1g.jpg

57A Cafe, the world's smallest restaurant?
abvOSV.jpg

This is the entire dining room! Most folks eat on the picnic tables outside, but not when it's 35 degrees!
kdVWfs.jpg

Here's the kitchen:
OaeEWp.jpg

Mark's RV had to park behind the rest of us due to lack of tie-downs:
0s4zhf.jpg

We even found another Lancair there!
YuZNyn.jpg

It was cold and windy, but we had another fly-out to Rutherfordton [KFQD] for lunch today. It was a short hop over the mountains (18 minutes) from Asheville, but the enchiladas were worth it. http://www.57alpha.com/

yIQY1g.jpg

57A Cafe, the world's smallest restaurant?
abvOSV.jpg

Didn't realize they were still open, just assumed they weren't. One of my best experiences(eating at 57alpha) followed one of my worst. Went to a warbird event at the Gatlinburg a few years back. NO FOOD unless you were a warbird. It was billed as open to everyone. What made it worse was one of the employees followed my 7 year old daughter around to make sure she was miserable. Hopped in the plane and flew over the mountains to Rutherfordton, the guy was out on the porch playing his guitar and we had a GREAT meal. I'm going back soon, that had to have been 12-15 years ago. Thanks for posting this.

Back