What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Has anyone thought of adding rudder trim to their -14? If so, do you have any pictures/details? I saw a -10 with an access plate cut into the rudder for the trim motor. Thanks.

Has anyone thought of adding rudder trim to their -14? If so, do you have any pictures/details? I saw a -10 with an access plate cut into the rudder for the trim motor. Thanks.

That's one way of doing trim, but is a lot of work. Mike S and Geoff Combs both did this to their RV-10s.

The other variation is just to put a hinge on the rudder and control it via servo. Many folks have done this, see Tim Olson's and Vic Syracuse sites.

The option I went with is to use the Aerosport Product Rudder Trim. Takes less than thirty minutes and is easy to install.

There are others that will recommend just adhering a trim tab to the rudder.

I built the servo trim you are referring to in our RV-10 by cutting the TE. With Tim Olson comment that he was thinking of leaving this feature on the RV-14 because of the aerobatic capabilities I did not install one in my RV-14 rudder. I plan on using one of Geoff's spring kits mentioned above.

Last edited:
I also have a spring biased "trim" on the rudder of my -6. It is simple works well does not effect primary flight control structure. Highly recommended

I did add the cutout access panel in the side of the rudder, and plan to add the same trim as my RV-10. I changed my mind after my last X/C flight. I just like having the trim too much and like the way it works. I haven't riveted on the hinge section yet, but will before I paint.
Tim

I put elec rudder trim on my Super 8 mainly due to the 2 cruise speeds I fly. 4 banger speeds with my buds, and Super 8 speeds alone. When I had my metal prop, I used this quite a bit. And only in the 2 cruise configurations. Since I have gone to the Hartzell composite, I dont use it at all, even though Im flying the 2 cruise speeds still.

My advice, Unless you intend to cruise at 2 different speeds that span >25kts, elec trim is of no use and a single fixed trim tab is all that is necessary. Elec trim is of even less use if you use a light weight prop.

Back