What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Question: Section 48-02

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I was wondering about the exhaust tailpipe hangars. The plans call out using one AN-310-3 washer and that does not seem to be correct. If I use one washer, then the bushing is what makes contact with the castle nut. The washer just floats around and is not even needed if that is the case. There is room for two washers, but only 1 per bolt is provided.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I was wondering about the exhaust tailpipe hangars. The plans call out using one AN-310-3 washer and that does not seem to be correct. If I use one washer, then the bushing is what makes contact with the castle nut. The washer just floats around and is not even needed if that is the case. There is room for two washers, but only 1 per bolt is provided.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It is intended to be a loose pivot joint to allow freedom of movement of the pipe during engine movement (I think it mentions not torquing the bolt tight?...... I don't have plans here at home). That is why castellated nuts and cotter pins are used.
The washer is just to act as a spacer (I think it is -4 size to over the bushing).

I understand the objective. I just don't understand the point of a washer at all. With one washer, the point of it is useless. i can fit two of the 463P washers and be right at the edge of the bushing. That is how much extra space is there with one washer.

I understand the objective. I just don't understand the point of a washer at all. With one washer, the point of it is useless. i can fit two of the 463P washers and be right at the edge of the bushing. That is how much extra space is there with one washer.

It sounds like an experimental aircraft is perfect for you..... it allows you to just do whatever you want.....

Back