What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Pitot Tube location

I have a RV-12 with a Viking engine that does not allow for a Pitot tube to be installed in the nose.
Has anyone installed a heated AOA Pitot tube in any other location?

Not yet, but I will be. Should have some info on it in a month or so, plan to mount a Dynon heated pitot with AoA ports out in the left wing forward of the main spar. Still working out the parts and mount plan.

As a reference design, I mounted a Dynon heated AOA pitot on a SafeAir1 mast just aft of the stall warning vane. I installed a doubler between the ribs that is riveted to both the ribs and the bottom skin. The heater control box is mounted on the stall switch access panel, this limits the wiring run to the two main power conductors (14 AWG). I wanted to maintain the removable wing capability, so the wire routing and two pressure tubes go to the first spar lightening hole then aft of the spar to the wing root. All wiring and pressure tubes are routed through a 1" thin wall tube inserted in and attached to the rib lightening holes. This routing also required a wing panel access hole to be added near the spar lightening hole. The F-1273-L baggage corner skin was modified with an access panel and holes for the two pressure tube quick connector bulkhead fittings and a 4-pin MIL-Circ connector for the pitot heater power. Routing the two pressure tubes aft to the Dynon ADAHRS is simple. Power is routed down the tunnel from a panel mounted Pitot Heat switch. To remove the wing, you pull the wing out about an 1.5" and disconnect the pitot power and two pressure lines.

I asked Van's about drilling the spar for two AN bulkhead connectors to route the pressure line and they did not recommend it, hence routing via the lightening holes. All the mods were done after the wing was built. I have seem some other examples where the mods are done on an open wing, looks a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Left wing

I installed a Garmin GAP26 heated pitot in my left wing in bay just outboard of the Van's stall warner and installed my heater control box in the stall warner bay to allow using the existing access. I ran my AOA, Pitot hoses, and wiring through 0.750 snap rings with a spare pull string.

It works very well.

Last edited:
I'm planning to install a Gretz heated pitot in a flying aircraft and have been trying to figure out where to put it - access for installation is limited. My latest thinking is to attach it to the stall warning access panel. The backing plate for the Gretz mast fits the panel nicely and it's more rigid than the lower skin further back towards the spar. It would also be fairly easy to add a stiffener inside the wing outboard of the panel. The control unit would be just behind the access panel with connectors to allow the panel/pitot to be removed. The pitot would be about 4" from the wing leading edge. I had been concerned about having it so far forward but Dynon recommend 2" - 12" behind the leading edge. (I know it isn't a Dynon but they are all very similar.)

Any thoughts?

Jack

Pitot relocation

I have a RV-12 with a Viking engine that does not allow for a Pitot tube to be installed in the nose.
Has anyone installed a heated AOA Pitot tube in any other location?

One option that works for us, (Non heated) both Pitot and AOA using 2 of the Vans self align quick release fittings.
4 X FLF-00012 - Bulkhead quick connect fittings. $10.65 each
2 X FLF-0015 - Guide adaptor. FLF-00015 $15.00 each
2 X AT6-049X1/4 – Aly tube AT6-049X1/4X2 “Aluminum tube rigid 2 inch” $1.40
11uckzn.jpg
amwj1h.jpg
2na0gg6.jpg

1zf0kjt.jpg
f3uo91.jpg
zix2fl.jpg

Last edited:
One option that works for us, (Non heated) both Pitot and AOA using 2 of the Vans self align quick release fittings.
11uckzn.jpg
amwj1h.jpg

1zf0kjt.jpg
f3uo91.jpg

Do you know Van's name for the Quick Release or their part number? I checked Van's site and couldn't find it.

Also, what do you have behind the rib to secure the 1/4" tubing?

Last edited:
Do you know Van's name for the Quick Release or their part number? I checked Van's site and couldn't find it.

Also, what do you have behind the rib to secure the 1/4" tubing?

Part numbers of fittings now added to original post, as well as the extra 2 pictures. The coloured cable ties are for identification only (not clamping) from the previous connection system used (Quick release but not auto release like the Vans system) prior to the Vans AOA - NOTIFICATION 16-12-14.
The Vans AOA kit is only for one hose, so there was a bit of careful measuring to make the new fitting bracket and work out the correct positioning of the second fittings.
FYI - I also place dust and bug protectors over the wing and fuselage connector fittings when the wings are removed and aircraft stored.

Thanks Andrew for the part numbers & extra pics. Are these Van's part numbers? I couldn't find when I searched the Van's site. Or maybe they're available and just not listed online and need a phone call to order?

Pitot tube relocation

Thanks Andrew for the part numbers & extra pics. Are these Van's part numbers? I couldn't find when I searched the Van's site. Or maybe they're available and just not listed online and need a phone call to order?

I couldn't find them in the parts price list either, so i emailed the Parts Department to get the prices. Nancy was very helpful. (check your pm)

Back