What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Internal rudder stops

M McGraw

Well Known Member
Friend
Internal Rudder Stop
Our Price: $29.00
Precision made internal rudder stop

I found these internal rudder stops on flyboyaccessories.com. I am at the stage of adding the rudder stops on my -14. Before doing so, I thought I would ask for some pireps on the internal stops made by flyboys. Maybe some of you could post pictures? I copied the picture from flyboys, but it did not work.
Thanks.

2102-2.jpg

They can be installed as shown in the photo, or you can install them between the hinge brackets. Be sure to check how they will contact the rudder horn before making the final decision on placement.

Some guys report using spacers, or washers, as required so as not to distort the hinges. That kinda depends on how you install and whether the bolts go through both hinge brackets or not.

The contact points, where it touches the rudder, can be trimmed if needed to obtain the proper rudder swing. Changing the height of the rod end bearings on the rudder also can change the swing.

As with anything on our RVs, custom installations are OK, just make certain that it all makes good sense as you go!

Over the years, I've had customers ask about "how much load can these take?" My reply is that they are plenty strong and that other loads are probably of much more concern. Like planting both feet on the rudder pedals to push yourself up in the seat. That doesn't load the internal stop at all, but it does put all of your weight on the rudder horn, cables, pedals, and rudder hinges points!!

Back