What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install sensor on fuel selection switch?

Gizmos

Is there a way to install sensors on fuel selection switch so when you switch tanks, your g3x system can monitor fuel used out of each tank. I also have the ei fuel gauge, could you hook up sensor to ei gauge to act the same way the gauge does manually?could you use discerte in to do this

Last edited:
Interesting idea!

My first thought on your question was to suggest that since there are two fuel flow inputs on the G3X system, one could wire the single red cube output through a relay such that fuel flow signal could be directed to one or the other G3X fuel flow inputs. Then it would be a simple matter to wire the relay coil through a micro-switch that was sensing the position of your fuel selector valve.

With regard to using the G3X discrete input for this task, it seems unlikely, but this question would be better addressed to G3Xpert.

Is there a way to install sensors on fuel selection switch so when you switch tanks, your g3x system can monitor fuel used out of each tank. I also have the ei fuel gauge, could you hook up sensor to ei gauge to act the same way the gauge does manually?could you use discrete in to do this

It looks like there is now a senor available to detect the fuel selector position (Left vs. Right) but it appears to be part of a system designed for Rotax fuel pump control.

It would be great if the Andair valve position sensor by itself could be installed to simply allow the G3X to track the fuel remaining in each tank.

Guess I’m missing something here, but isn’t that what the tank float switches are for?
I'm struggling with the purpose here, but beyond that, the use of two different measuring mechanisms provides some resiliency. Float/capacitative tank sensors measure the fuel level directly, whereas flow meters only measure fuel remaining by inference based on the fuel burn. Two separate but important measurements.

There are many situations, some human error some mechanical issue, that can lead to the fuel totalizer disagreeing with the direct measurement of the fuel level.

This sounds like a gross over complication for a reduction in capability.

Guess I’m missing something here, but isn’t that what the tank float switches are for?

The fuel totalizer is much more accurate than than any float sender. I always compare the amount of fuel burned shown on the totalizer against the amount of fuel added when refueling. The totalizer is extremely accurate.

I'd simply like to know how much of that total fuel remaining is in each tank. I'd trust that number a lot more than I trust the SW float senders.

The fuel totalizer is much more accurate than than any float sender.
Agree, and every EFIS for the last few decades includes that function. One can determine total fuel with the totalizer, and the float switches show the fuel level in each tank so you know which is lowest. Once the low tank has run dry, then your totalizer becomes the “final” number. Just struggling to see what new information the proposed scheme offers.

Totalizers are indeed very accurate - but they won't pick up any leaks that could cause you to lose fuel in flight. You can't ignore the level sensors in the tank.

This product looks like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

Back