Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
This might be of interest but not sure how impartial the information might be: http://www.synthetics.com/amsoil-and...son-tests.html
Who knows, I just know I've used it since 1980 in all my race engines and have never seen a lubrication related failure in any engine so, I stick with it. Turbocharged road racing engines have FAR more stress on them, both thermally and mechanically than run of the mill aircraft engines.
According to my Shell rep and "motorhead" friend, almost never do you see a failure related to inferior oil. The failures are almost always related to a lack of oil, or some other peripheral issue, not to the oil itself.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Running a synthetic oil for the superior properties when you must change it more often to combat the lead suspension issues kind of defeats the purpose. But synthetic oil does seem to resist heat breakdown.

I've seen a oil related failure of a 14000 hp gearbox....it took less than a year of operation. After rebuild we started using Mobil SHC220(Mobilone synth)...it's been in operation since 1995...almost continuously.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM

Mobil SHC is THE ULTIMATE industrial gear oil. I concurr.

In a year or so I hope Mobil bring back the aviation version Mobil 1 as it is superior in every way, except lead. Along with running G100UL the Mobil synthetic would be a no brainer.

Until then........

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Default lead issues??

Racing engines of many flavors run leaded race fuels. Some of these fuels contain more lead than 100ll does. These engines almost universally use synthetic oils (commonly Mobil 1) without any issues. Additionally in the US and Canada there were older cars running leaded fuel with standard and synthetic oils for many years through the late 1980's with out trouble. So if there are issues I dont think it is specificly lead related. Russ
Wasilla, Alaska
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM

I don't see too many racing fuels with TEL in them here. But if they were used the time in sump would not be long.

The typical V8 superacr engine (our most high profile form of racing) would be lucky to go 25-50 hours before rebuild and would have a minimum of 4-8 oil changes in that time and more like 8-16.

In aero engine terms you would be saying an oil change every 4-5 hours by comparison?

In a few years Mobil AV-1 should make a return I hope!

David Brown

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Default Approved Oils

HTML Code:
Racing engines of many flavors run leaded race fuels.
Case in point, Porsche has a list of approved oils, most if not all of them are synthetic or semi-synthetic. The list applies to all of their cars; newer water cooled designed to run on unleaded fuel as well as air cooled engines designed to run on leaded fuel.
If I recall, some of the oils are also used in diesel engines.
Mobile 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple are a few of the brands recomended.
paid 'til 10-18
Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Myron & H. Evan's:

Way, way back... When Mobile 1 first came out it was a 100% synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is GREAT for lubrication and working into tight spaces. BUT! 100% Synthetic oil suffers greatly in the main purpose of oil... And that is to CARRY HEAT AWAY. Now, with my statement there will be some that will say 'If you reduce friction you reduce heat'... TRUE! But this falls into the realm of: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Mobile 1 years ago only a few - I think it was 3 failure due to heat. AND, when they made a MIXTURE of 50% Synthetic and 50% Organic (Petroleum) the heat problem went away. The advertising has changed and one must REALIZE it is advertising that SELLS products - So the real term of 100% synthetic no longer exists. All good synthetic oils contain petroleum additives.
NOW! One big difference to consider is the LOAD capable charistics of oil. A car cruising down the road at 65 MPH is only using about 15 to 25 HP... While a plane in cruse is around 55 to 75% HP... Lets say you have a O-320 @ 150 HP that is 82.5 HP to 112.5 HP... Bigger engine BIGGER HP. So, I would consider AVIATION OILS before automotive oils. AND - Realize this is a subject that falls under OPINIONS... And you know what they say about OPINIONS!

Barry

"You enter yor next world through what you learn in this one; learn nothing and you have all the same lead weights and limitations to overcome" J.L. Seagull (IChing)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Barry View Post
Myron & H. Evan's:

Way, way back... When Mobile 1 first came out it was a 100% synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is GREAT for lubrication and working into tight spaces. BUT! 100% Synthetic oil suffers greatly in the main purpose of oil... And that is to CARRY HEAT AWAY. Now, with my statement there will be some that will say 'If you reduce friction you reduce heat'... TRUE! But this falls into the realm of: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Mobile 1 years ago only a few - I think it was 3 failure due to heat. AND, when they made a MIXTURE of 50% Synthetic and 50% Organic (Petroleum) the heat problem went away. The advertising has changed and one must REALIZE it is advertising that SELLS products - So the real term of 100% synthetic no longer exists. All good synthetic oils contain petroleum additives.
NOW! One big difference to consider is the LOAD capable charistics of oil. A car cruising down the road at 65 MPH is only using about 15 to 25 HP... While a plane in cruse is around 55 to 75% HP... Lets say you have a O-320 @ 150 HP that is 82.5 HP to 112.5 HP... Bigger engine BIGGER HP. So, I would consider AVIATION OILS before automotive oils. AND - Realize this is a subject that falls under OPINIONS... And you know what they say about OPINIONS!

Barry

"You enter yor next world through what you learn in this one; learn nothing and you have all the same lead weights and limitations to overcome" J.L. Seagull (IChing)
Ok, why doesn't a small displacement 700hp F1 engine or a 500 hp Corvette engine blow up using Mobil 1? The load is many times greater here than any Lycoming engine. Automotive oils are engineered for automotive engines and Mobil 1 works just fine in my automotive powered RV6A and I'm running a lot more than 25 hp...

Mobil 1 does not contain 50% organic base stock, only the additive package has some non-synthetic ingredients.

BTW automotive engines are validated at WOT and hundreds of hours of full power using automotive oils. Seem to work just fine.

An opinion is one thing, reality quite another.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Barry View Post
Myron & H. Evan's:

Barry

Ok, why doesn't a small displacement 700hp F1 engine or a 500 hp "Vette" engine blow up using Mobil 1? The load is many times greater here than any Lycoming engine. Automotive oils are engineered for automotive engines and Mobil 1 works just fine in my automotive powered RV6A and I'm running a lot more than 25 hp...

Mobil 1 does not contain 50% organic base stock, only the additive package has some non-synthetic ingredients.

BTW automotive engines are validated at WOT and hundreds of hours of full power using automotive oils. Seem to work just fine. I don't think the engineers developing oils would agree with you assessment here.

An opinion is one thing, reality quite another.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 07-03-2017, 04:30 PM

As it turns out, we will be burning 100LL most, if not all of the time. The boys flying with the V8, V12, and V6's are running Shell Rotella Diesel engine oil, non synthetic. They are having very good results with this oil and running the leaded avgas.
Rotella is what they strongly recommend. And this oil was actually suggested by one of the techs from Shell Oil.