What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scout ADS-B gadget in a slider 9

Dugaru

Well Known Member
For those who have picked one of these up, where's the best place you've found to mount it?

My current Stratux setup seems to get blanked where it has to see through the aircraft, which is understandable. My thought with the Scout was to stick it near the top of the front windshield, behind the center tube, so that it can at least see "around" the airplane as much as possible. But I'd love to hear from any voices of experience.

Okay so I answered my own question....

I think. I mounted the Scout right on the windscreen, behind the center bar (I have a slider) so that it didn't obscure my view from the left seat.

This turns out to be an excellent spot so far: the Scout has a short run for the power cord to the panel, and seems to be able to "see" towers on all sides of the aircraft.

Reception of my windshield-mounted Scout is a major improvement over the Stratux I mounted behind my seat on the crossbar. The antennas for that would only see towers on the pilot's slide of the airplane.

I suspect an external belly antenna would put both solutions to shame of course.

Back