Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Need some advice--I made an extra hole!

I'm building the tailwheel model and currently working on Section 10 that deals with attaching the Vertical Stabilizer to the Aft Fuselage assembly. In the plans excerpt below, you are instructed to match-drill three 1/4" holes and final-drill two #12 holes in the locations indicated.

Well, let's just say, I didn't exactly follow the directions! I still can't believe I did this!? I mistakenly drilled a 1/4" hole in the location identified as "#30 Drill Bit". It is UNBELIEVABLY obvious to me now that this hole should NOT have been drilled. Here is the result:

I emailed Van's support and was instructed to insert two more rivets between the Systems Hole and the side edges of the Hinge Bracket and add a bolt/washer/nut to the errant 1/4" hole I mistakenly drilled. The rivets would work out fine; however, due to the bend in the Hinge Bracket, there is not enough room to fit a nut (or bolt). Ironically, on the RV-14, if I had not accidentally drilled the 1/4" hole in the first place, the previous #30 hole in this location would NOT have received any hardware and be left open. So.....

Couple of questions:
1. Since there is not any hardware ultimately used in this hole location (al beit it should be a #30 not a 1/4" hole), can I just leave as is?
2. Should I rebuild the Vertical Stabilizer Spar (as it now also has a 1/4" hole in it) and replace the Hinge Bracket due to the "extra" hole I drilled?

Lastly, regardless of what I do to the Vertical Stabilizer Spar, there are also now two holes in the F-01412A & B Bulkheads. As shown below, one hole is the Systems hole (should be there) and the other is the 1/4" hole that should not be there.

3. Can I leave these Bulkheads as they are with the two holes?
4. Should I replace the two Bulkheads due to the errant hole?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
RV-14 S/N #140316
Empennage--In Progress

Last edited by myrv7 : 10-15-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Iíll bet you could could get a bolt head there by either slightly grinding off an edge, using a modified washer underneath it, or both. I may or may not have an extra bolt or two in my plane. Still seems to fly okay...

Chris
Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 PM

(Deleted) realized you were waaay past the emp.....
VAF Dues paid - 2018

Last edited by cczarnik : 10-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Default Take Van's advice

Quote:
2. Should I rebuild the Vertical Stabilizer Spar (as it now also has a 1/4" hole in it) and replace the Hinge Bracket due to the "extra" hole I drilled?
NO

Quote:
4. Should I replace the two Bulkheads due to the errant hole?
NO

Quote:
3. Can I leave these Bulkheads as they are with the two holes?
Refer to Vans advice!

However, I can see your problem trying to use a bolt in that location for the reasons you have mentioned.
Perhaps Van would let you use the System hole for a bolt rather than trying to
make a bolt head fit in the radius of that hinge bracket. This would require a 5/16" bolt or larger to fit the system hole.
Don't get consumed by this minor issue, it can easily be solved without replacing major components.
In any case, check again with Vans.
Over 2500 Gallons of E10 mogas burned
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:13 PM

Send these concerns to Van's. They need an engineering decision. Only Van's knows what the loads and stresses are in that area.

Dave
(old retired aerospace stress guy)
Old 10-15-2017, 04:54 PM

How about installing a 1/4" nut plate to the bracket side and inserting a bolt from the forward side?
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM

Is there sufficient clearance from the bolt head to the flange of the fitting? It's just the radius that is the problem? If so, bevel a washer to conform to the fillet and install the bolt. You could also put an extra rivet on either side of the big hole respecting the edge distance.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:52 PM

Hard to tell from the picture how much room you've got for the bolt head. Check out McMaster-Carr for ideas on different bolt head types. A couple stood out that have small diameter heads when I had a quick look. Round Neck or Tugger bolts, and socket head screws. Maybe also consider a carriage bolt with part of the head ground down flat. Would need to find one with correct grip length (non -threaded) and without the square part underneath the head.
Looks like you're very particular and your work shows it, so know this bugs the heck out of you. However, form the sidelines here, I think I would try and follow Vans advice if possible. When your done, you'll have one of the strongest tail sections out there
Old 10-16-2017, 06:32 AM

Personally I would have put two rivets either side of the errant hole, verifying good hole spacing and leave the open hole alone. The bolt wont add anything that the rivets arent accomplishing, except weight. But since Vans told you to put a bolt in then grind off one side of the head and install. And build on.

FWIW, we have a three of these ground back bolt heads at a bend area in the M2. The bend takes up any strain the missing bolt head area might give up. In our case, the strain is most definitely in the direction of the bolt shank so head surface area is a consideration and its the only thing holding the bracket on. You already have several rivets accomplishing the goal.

Just my .02.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 10-16-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for your advice and insight. Iíll follow up with Vanís for additional options. Thanks again.
RV-14 S/N #140316
Empennage--In Progress