What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost RV-14 seat mod from Anti-Splat?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Anybody out in the west Texas area with one of these installed? Your thoughts on it? I would love to sit in (or fly in) an airplane with this installed to try it before I buy it.

Greg I'm in McAllen which is not close but the seat mod and the tilting canopy are the best and most useful mods you can make to the 9 in my opinion.

Try it - U'll like it.

I am 6'3" and was at the same point 2weeks ago. I live in SoCal and Allan of AntiSplat kindly offered his plane for my test sitting. 10 seconds sitting in it and I was sold. I liken it to sitting in my extended cab Tacoma with the seat back partially reclined. Adds a good amount of headroom too. Go check one out.

Wouldn't be without it! Contrary to Allan's web site you can put it in a tipup canopy. There are fairly good instructions in the download section of the antisplataero.com web site. I would make one change to those instructions if I were doing it again.

Wouldn't be without it! Contrary to Allan's web site you can put it in a tipup canopy. There are fairly good instructions in the download section of the antisplataero.com web site. I would make one change to those instructions if I were doing it again.

....Please let us know the changes to the instructions you referred to. We offered those instructions to help the tip-up guys, but we have never did one of these ourselves. The instruction PDF was given to us by a fellow RVer, documenting his installation. If a change would help others please let us know and we can include it.Thanks, Allan..:D

almost rv14 seat mod

I did the mod and my friend wrote up those instructions. I haven't done a second mod yet but after the first one it dawned on me that it might be better to install the new seat back before cutting out the original seat back. what we did worked fine but just might have worked a bit better to do the new back first. We also decided to not install the covers over the overcenter latches on each side as that required a lot of work for not much gain in my opinion. If anyone wants to come to Colorado I would be very willing to find a hangar and help with their mod install. Colorado makes a nice vacation.

Almost RV14 seat mod from Anti-Splat?

Guys: Just another take on the mod, I installed it on my -9A for its removability. I do "no more than 100 hrs between condition inspections" per my LODA for transition training, about 2 inspections per year. And since my flight suit size has been "short fat" for some time now, it was a real pain to wad up and squeeze my fat a.. under the stock seat back crossbar to access aft or forward areas. It takes about 10 minutes to remove 10 screws and bolts held in place with nutplates to completely remove Alan's new crossbar. Mucho better now. Dan from Reno.

I will be installing one of these mod kits in Ed Wischmeyer's -9A soon. I have been flying it a bit lately trying to get somewhat proficient at using the G3X touch and GTN650.

The airplane is comfortable enough once I am seated, but getting in and out is a huge pain. If I am not very careful my knees will contact the instrument panel, which could easily result in a cracked screen or broken knob. Just removing the seat back cushions makes a huge difference in instrument panel clearance for me when sliding down into the seated position. I am sure the seat back mod kit will make a huge difference.

Please explain more!

ty1295

Please check out my previous posts and especially checkout the download section of the antisplataero web site or call me at 303-772-2202 for answers to any question you might have.

Seat Mod

I have about 225hrs on my 9A slider, I'm 6' and used to fly with the seatback resting on the cross member (as far back as I could) Really pleased with the difference- more headroom, more reclined- It does change the sight picture for taxi and landing. With the mod installed and the seatback flap installed and in position- it puts the seatback in the same position (resting on the cross member) as I used before. FYI- if you have wiring or pitot tube running along the longeron- its difficult to remove the cross member - you'll have to remove the tubing or carefully cut the cross member out around the tube or wiring. The kit didn't have all the hardware needed- but I had what was needed on hand after building. I'd definitely do it again. I'm in Baton Rouge if you'd like to sit/ fly.

Tipper Install

6ato14a,

I'm a RV-7 tipper guy still under construction w/o the canopy installed yet. Other than your mod for the canopy latch cross bar (which seems a game changer.... THANKS by the way), it appears that I could follow Alan's video for the slider including installing the new welded "side pieces". However, it seems you didn't use those "side pieces in the install. Any reason to exclude those "side pieces" other than the fact that it might be a pain in the a$$ with a completed flying airplane?

Has anyone does this mod who is shorter than say 6'0"?

I've been thinking about doing it for myself - I'm ~6'2"ish but my pops is around 5'9"ish.

Wondering how it would work for him.

5' 8" here, glad I did the mod, it is more comfortable for me to be slightly reclined, allowed for a lot of seat cushion and still have lots of head room.

The mod doesn't change the lower part and how it mounts to the plane. It does change how far you can recline the seat, but has provisions to leave it back to basically stock recline mode also.

The mod doesn't change the lower part and how it mounts to the plane. It does change how far you can recline the seat, but has provisions to leave it back to basically stock recline mode also.

... Actually, all that is required to move the bottom of the seat as well is the addition of another piece of hinge. Then you can have three positions for the
lower seat, thus giving more leg room for the extra tall pilot. Thanks, Allan..:D

Almost 14

I'm 6'2", but most of it is in the torso. I'm sitting on a one inch seat pad, back all the way forward on my 6. I have about an inch of head room with a headset on. I want to do this, but does the mod change the shoulder room? Does anyone in central Texas have one I could sit in?

Thanks,
Fred

I'm 6'2", but most of it is in the torso. I'm sitting on a one inch seat pad, back all the way forward on my 6. I have about an inch of head room with a headset on. I want to do this, but does the mod change the shoulder room? Does anyone in central Texas have one I could sit in?

Thanks,
Fred

....Yes! It does of sorts. When you have a passenger with you the lack of
shoulder room becomes very apparent, as you are rubbing one another.
With the "almost a 14 seat mod" this situation changes dramatically. You
can have your seat all the way back, and your copilots seat forward, thus
offsetting you at the shoulders. This intern provides the pilot with 5 1/2"
more shoulder room. Have a look at our videos on our website, or click the
video link here; http://antisplataero.com/products/almost-a-rv14-seat-mod
If you need more information, or would like to talk about this, please give
us a call. Thanks, Allan..:D

Almost rv14 mod comments

I don't think it changes the shoulder room.

It gives more head room but still very close if you have a long torso.

I didn't put the covers on the outboard corners as it would require taking the rollover off to install them so they are still uncovered like when new from plans with the original crossbar ends installed under the crossbar.

If I were doing it again I would install the new crossbar before cutting out the old one as I think it would be easier especially on a slider. No chance for fuselage to change dimension.

There are several installs at KLMO just north of Denver if anyone wants to look,sit,fly.

I don't think it changes the shoulder room.

It gives more head room but still very close if you have a long torso.

I didn't put the covers on the outboard corners as it would require taking the rollover off to install them so they are still uncovered like when new from plans with the original crossbar ends installed under the crossbar.

If I were doing it again I would install the new crossbar before cutting out the old one as I think it would be easier especially on a slider. No chance for fuselage to change dimension.

There are several installs at KLMO just north of Denver if anyone wants to look,sit,fly.

....The new cross bar cannot be installed without removing the original.
If one were to do this, the new one would not be in the correct place, and
most of the engineering would be wrong. Thanks, Allan

Aviator seat compatibility

Anyone know if there is any issue with the Classic Aero Aviator seats with this mod, since the seat backs are different? I have the mod (not installed yet), and just ordered seats. Would like to know in case I need to modify my order

I have the same seats. They fit fine. I removed the striker plate on the back that rests against the bar and turned it upside down so that it rests on the bar better. 5 screws as I recall. Mine is in the full back position. When u install yours u will see that it rests on the fabric above the striker plate. Simple fix.

happy with the seat mod

Just want to chime in and say I installed the seat back mod in my 9A slider and I am very happy with it. also..my wife is happy!..we notice the shoulder room difference, as we are not shoulder to shoulder anymore. does not seen like alot when you look at the 2 seats empty, with one forward from the other, but it give the ability to adjust so as not to rubbing shoulders, so to speak.
I have 3 piano hinges on the floor for the seat back btw, and I even further modified the seatback flap, which is the part hinged to the upper seat back, on both seats, with a 1 inch wide by about 8 inch long, slightly bent along the length in the center, so as to give 3 positions for the upper seat back. I riveted this to the underside of the seatback flap, and it gives a "middle choice" I am 5'11 and 195, and I generally fly with the bottom of the seat in the furthermost aft piano hinge, and the upper seatback flap in the middle position on the seat back flap/rest.
when we travel , she likes the passenger seat all the way back in both top and bottom, and has no trouble keeping her feet away from the rudder pedals, and not be scrunched up..she is 5'8" tall..this puts our shoulder about 2 inchs or so off center from each other, and give a huge perception of more room. Just feels better.
I also installed the super track extender slider rails, another really good mod. with the extended canopy rails the canopy now goes back far enough, when she gets out, she can get her butt up on the back of the seat without the canopy diggin her in the back.. much easier for egress and entry. These are probably the 2 best mods one can make on this airframe, for ergonomics, in my opinion. FWIW!
hmm..the canopy shade might come close too!

Classic Aero Tonneau

Hi Guys, does anyone know if the classic aero tonneau assembly will fit with this seat mod kit?

Cheers

Damian

Almost a 14 in a tip-up

I'm still building but couldn't resist adding the mod to my tip-up. Despite the extra effort to moved the latch, I'm convinced that it's more than worth it. Plus, you can polish the stainless cross bar for some extra bling.

Almost a 14 mod RV-6A slider

I installed the Almost a 14.

My height is 6-1 with 32 inseam, short legs, tall seated height.

RV-6A slider.

Flightline Confor-Foam seats, no wedge.

My clearance to the canopy went from 3/8" to 1-1/2"; I don't have to duck under the forward canopy bar any more; I like being a little further from the instrument panel.

cuFwJCoUSgtBvj1LhDCDog_l17rcPUtKlNPFC_L3rsuzQrt7-r8XiP8ayNedN8HNE4Ms6qWztUg5kMr2H18OfRCx-umvwwHlDaH08uGDMbm8D2yZVQ6Llp3GTmVuBeZ0KcwpXgtZZN3HGP-l8amM_vv8Cfb2-Q8a0QAW24K_7T7GEH2Lpv34X2yP41pJArBOz-lAwdsvZOYlj10mFOt2CM59eyqBTMILLU9cy5Omi66L8JdYLlVrDWAb1IffdGiEeUM5I73y6Ct7p26wUpux1CcdYHr-I4eyHZl52x2UVXskNI_701FX9nyC9f2-u8vvf28C7YadlNRAa_xHZx2NGUNndWmCvtARPkx6XdsbajZgHqu8388F2DWVLVx7uy9e4Ip2IEM1yqLQRHcNEFzMM2ZlPSFE3mFRXTx_4W9h903q8Uey7bmemTziQMCRw_qcYy0KlsPRXpjxqbXRuE8sS9Pr8VcbenOExZBl5TAbFNo_jJNjgTbYWhK2GdroZBI7Ha-g2xrv8pbRmIyZxbvON0N-3szfEJq9ckKPJ-Yz1LG6rI7grzuMvRqpTUSyMNhoslpdoSFUQHgWNnwWGdmZQPPcLaEFuFu1xziwk1JyhDSwWUmifJbIyFyL-AxplJSxt46K-DY2zuny5D68DrRZRmPHzIxLB0RliaGHwMp-z0PWKLrsxmsFH_f9RM71GgV0s-pFkhgFo42Ac_t_7Q0EtduG=w1380-h1841-no

cross brace too long?

I'm installing the mod now (RV-9A slider). I'm finding the cross brace is just a touch too long to fit. Did anyone else find this?

Back