What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How about a 200mph Club?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
With a 150hp FP RV-9A, I would have to be extremely lucky to ever join the 200kt Club. But with a little luck, how about a 200mph Club?

I was doing my weekend buzzing around, no real destination, on my way back to my homedrome of HAO today at around 5500. Had some very favorable tailwinds from the leftover front that moved through last night. Decided to go WOT and see what I could hit. I'll take it. ;)

9AqSL9_IAO_LIpu453kKMBM2POvNSMf0I4ZJvdN28kVVO1rYMHZX5bOVyY9J8k2NbLttZFuZfWoe-mdMHCHcs7UfdR-YRhStm42HIrNE_clu-0jEm3bd--O76NHBQbRsxtUjMFoXYhk34si-r7prNNfa02ZKGgz08sVz5zkBbFidN6B7JPpKFKGodEs37O6aGOmpx43j2yUrb8sSrYVf05V2YiQv0x9a1Iiyrc-UwdDtjw5jaFzC9jMXRWR5qvN_8K_8Aune5-FTqcYPpgfoKrbool8AqUPDqQJCPM_ZAne81j3JeURDrC2H5QzYmm-7YgjOpkuWC35TbCGMLkpxRIs7O_cp2SOPirHCtnx8KVlLE5C-3oYkQwkS1PCYo3ICj2tyiodxR8awmKv42QKJbJWgSTMWTNB7VK_830AIHy2QyGhlx64rmkSyx4-3xU-0NEzRwZ9hI2nFkarF6tAUjBlMCycHTsfzN9DloqLV7PbEKb-CLIPwpIOiYpQn0vDj2BKGF7RuC5FD72MsoEWumzj9U_7WpUcrK6hcI3AnkPJ4AsQwfm0i7DLYC474F_FZ9rae5a1aB3D2J6ousUS7Hh1gmGVd1vzsV3klUjCveoWbFocvv4IRGkAr-nHnCd5GdT7CjGWpsmmxAkIIVKGKW3S2fJqds0ie_DogEf_oVagQM1a26JhtUZo=w783-h1043-no

(For the record, I was actually looking for that elusive F***itall Regional Airport, near the equally-elusive fix IDGAF, that we all look for during the work week)

looks good Scott.

sometimes I curse tailwinds. this one got me. 78 kts on the tail for 600 miles. they can ruin you for life. If I remember correctly, I burned 23 gallon for that leg.

IMG_20180306_094517_zpswyyzuu46.jpg

Last edited:
There is already a 200 knot club.

Since my -9 can cruise right at 175 knots/200 mph without a tailwind, as can many other RV's, many of can do this at any time we want to put the fuel through it.

I know there's a 200kt Club Bill. I'll never achieve that in this bird. This is the 200mph Club. ;)

I know there's a 200kt Club Bill. I'll never achieve that in this bird. This is the 200mph Club. ;)

Sure you will, you just need to find the right tailwind. I joined while on a flight in the teens eastbound with a 50 knot tailwind.

I have the same setup as you (it's amazing we can even lift off, right? :D) - don't give up, I found a 50 knot tailwind at 11.5k one day and joined the 200 knot club.

Chris

No panel pic, but I hit 171kt GS coming back from KAVX on Sep 7. It's on Flight Aware if anyone cares to check. I like the idea of a 200 mph club. Greg
N4603X RV9A O-320-H2AD EFII Sam James cowl

On August 31 flying from our home base to KNQA in the Memphis area we hit 202 mph. A westbound flight with little to no tailwind. Didn?t take a picture but you can check Flight Aware to confirm. N14ZB for this awesome RV9 with an O-360 and three blade Catto prop.
This was not the first time we bettered 200 mph. And not at WOT.

I probably will never make the 200kt club either, but I did get close. I hit 197kt descending into Denver in March. Shallow descent (600fpm), strong tailwind, but it was getting rough so I dialed it back closer to maneuvering speed. I'd let it get back up there again if the air is smooth. I do find a significant loss in decision time at those speeds, so there are phases of flight that I (as in me) would avoid getting that fast.

Okay, okay... I'll eat crow. Roast crow makes for a nice alternative to chicken, and is different than the glut of turkey we'll have in a month.

Already posted up in the other thread. But I got a 70kt tailwind in my back yard over the weekend and joined the club, not a month after I first started this thread. I was more interested in finding my bird's service ceiling. But as I slipped on the oxygen around 12k and saw that I was getting both 45kt tailwind and crosswind components in the climb, I figured leveling out and turning into a full-on tailwind was going to make me surpass the mark. Don't think I've ever seen the GS reading climb faster than it did Saturday.

True to form, I am now ruined for life, in Steve's words. 200kt+ GS at 6gph with more room to spare in power and climb if I wanted it.

And now I have to come back to reality on the ground, the start of another work week. :(

Last edited:
Back