What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12is Improvements in a RV-12

Has anyone installed some of the "many" improvements made to the RV-12is in their RV-12?

* New throttle quadrant design
* Quick reacting electric flaps
* Quick adjust seat back feature
* New cup holder
* Dual USB power outlets
* New transversely mounted fuel tank
* Improved canopy latch design
* Cockpit handle on panel
* Stick grip options for trim control, PTT function, AP disconnect
* Dual Landing Lights
* Improved steps

Has anyone installed some of the "many" improvements made to the RV-12is in their RV-12?

* New throttle quadrant design
* Quick reacting electric flaps
* Quick adjust seat back feature
* New cup holder
* Dual USB power outlets
* New transversely mounted fuel tank
* Improved canopy latch design
* Cockpit handle on panel
* Stick grip options for trim control, PTT function, AP disconnect
* Dual Landing Lights
* Improved steps

The bottom 5 are definitely retrofitable.

The rest (except USB ports) would be challenging to add to a ULS fuselage.

Last edited:
Headset hangers
Roll bar brace inside supports
Flush canopy deck rivets
Voltage regulator to upper firewall with dedicated cowling vent

Main landing gear seals per KAI 38iS/U-10/11

This would make a nice retro-fit kit, for those of us not wanting speed fairings.

Mods

I installed the dual USB ports on my panel and a Tosten stick grip with PTT, ident, auto-pilot disconnect, and pitch trim on it.

Retrofitting a RV-12IS fuel tank into an RV-12. Any one thought about it or done it? How difficult and what is involved in removal and replacement?

Retrofitting a RV-12IS fuel tank into an RV-12. Any one thought about it or done it? How difficult and what is involved in removal and replacement?

IIRC there are some posts in the mods thread that show an early 12 with a full width tank behind the seats. This was years before the iS was thought of so he obviously fabricated it from scratch rather than using iS parts. So it can be done that way but I wouldn't expect it to be easy. And obviously it would require certifying as E-AB unless you change it after the plane is built and flying.

The thing that would make me nervous is that it involves the modifying the fuel system. When you look NTSB reports in regards to the experimental side, it seems to paint a picture that deviating from the plans/factory design of the fuel system increases your chances of experiencing an in-flight engine stoppage significantly. That's across all experimentals not just the -12. But regardless its evidence enough to show me that the fuel system is not something I'd be too keen on mucking about with. Proceed carefully.

Last edited:
I installed the Cup holder (including a wooden box that falls over the wing roots - an early idea from one of the Forum members, WAY before the iS was sold).
I also installed the headphone holders and put the VR both beneath the avionics tray, put in grip switches for trim, build the cockpit latch and put on the the hand grip (pax only).
Good ideas are there to be copied!

Extremely Hard to do. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a skilled builder. If you are interested in all the cool mods on the 12IS I would recommend buying one of those. There are many High schools building New RV12IS's with good supervision that are fine aircraft. Their prices are very competitive.

a year before the new tank came out I built a26 gallon tank that fits transverse. can be completely disconnected in 30 minutes and be removed without any more disassembly. it also took a year to build from plywood mock up, finding a capable sheet metal brake, a qualified welder and all the rest that went along with it. it was a project but if I could do it most could.

Additionally......

Any different fuel tank design should have design engineering and static or dynamic load testing done, to confirm the integrity of the tank in typical crash scenarios.

The RV-12ULS and iS fuel tank designs have both had testing done to simulate 20 G crash loads.

a year before the new tank came out I built a26 gallon tank that fits transverse. can be completely disconnected in 30 minutes and be removed without any more disassembly. it also took a year to build from plywood mock up, finding a capable sheet metal brake, a qualified welder and all the rest that went along with it. it was a project but if I could do it most could.

Have any pics of your tank and its install?

Upgrades

Have first four kits legacy 12, building ELSA, working on wings. Looking ahead, would like to upgrade 12 kit with 12iS improvements when possible. On board with ‘last five’ - questioning second landing light option. Understand load issue with ULS but considering for wig-wag operation. And based on nighttime Cessna left wing light experience and seemingly always turning right onto taxiway/runway, how about switching setup with option to also use right light or left light individually? Setup option possible/reasonable - anybody done similar second landing light mods on 12? Advice appreciated.

Last edited:
cockpit handle

I installed the cockpit handle on the panel using Van's parts. It was pretty simple. It makes getting in and out of the airplane much easier. I highly recommend it.

Back