What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv10 wheel fairing replacement

jerpo1

The back half of my passenger side wheel pant is busted and needs to be replaced. Is there anything special that needs to be done other than ordering a new one from vans, repainting, and installing it? will there need to be special fiberglass work done to mate it to the front half? should i replace the front half as well? looking for tips, suggestions, etc.

how bad is it? I busted both of mine due to too little clearance with the tires and a single good bounce that caused it to grab and crack nearly in half. very easy to repair and you?d probably never be able to tell. much more so than replacing the whole thing.

The back half of my passenger side wheel pant is busted and needs to be replaced. Is there anything special that needs to be done other than ordering a new one from vans, repainting, and installing it? will there need to be special fiberglass work done to mate it to the front half? should i replace the front half as well? looking for tips, suggestions, etc.

Best place to start for the information you seek is the construction manual.
If you don't already have a copy you should get one. It is invaluable for maintaining the airplane.

You can purchase a digital copy on a USB drive for $10

By the time you have fitted and installed a new wheel pant, you will have learned all of the fiberglass skills that you need to do a repair of your current pants, and if you repair instead of replace, you won’t have to do all of the alignment and fitting all over again! I’d have to do a search, but there have been several articles in Kitplanes over the past few years that give detailed instructions on fiberglass pant repair - worth a look to see if they fit your situation.

I have fixed pants that had been badly fragmented into multiple pieces - its just fiberglass! ;)

Paul

Appreciate the replies. It is a chunk missing about the size of a silver dollar at the bottom. I didn?t think about repairing it. I would much rather do that than replacing but don?t know a lick about fiberglass repair. Any tips and resources are appreciated!

Appreciate the replies. It is a chunk missing about the size of a silver dollar at the bottom. I didn?t think about repairing it. I would much rather do that than replacing but don?t know a lick about fiberglass repair. Any tips and resources are appreciated!

If it is only a missing chunk repair is the way to go. Check out the fiberglass forum here on VAF. Lots of tips and information there. Post a photo in that forum on what the damage is and I am sure you will gets lots on opinions on how to repair it.

Or if you dont want to learn fiberglass, take it to a boat shop. Most have folks that are good with fiberglass.

If it is only a missing chunk repair is the way to go. Check out the fiberglass forum here on VAF. Lots of tips and information there. Post a photo in that forum on what the damage is and I am sure you will gets lots on opinions on how to repair it.

Or if you dont want to learn fiberglass, take it to a boat shop. Most have folks that are good with fiberglass.

Back