What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX Recommended Added Equip. for IFR

sheldon957

I have a single screen Dynon HDX in my RV-14, but the Autopilot is incapable of flying any approaches without a secondary (certified?) GPS source. There also is no nav/com unit for glide slope & ILS information such as the Garmin SL30. Is there one unit for all of this, or separate units only?

What equipment would you recommend to accomplish this?

On a side note, I can't believe equipment as nice as the HDX is that far behind the curve. The 12 year old G1000 can do all of this.

Last edited:
I have a single screen Dynon HDX in my RV-14, but the Autopilot is incapable of flying any approaches without a secondary (certified?) GPS source. There also is no nav/com unit for glide slope & ILS information such as the Garmin SL30. Is there one unit for all of this, or separate units only?

On a side note, I can't believe equipment as nice as the HDX is that far behind the curve. The 12 year old G1000 can do all of this.

You have some misinformation. The person that is behind the curve was your panel designer. If that was you, I apologize for being so blunt.

What you want to accomplish is very possible with the HDX, you just need the appropriate avionics and a good panel design. The Skyview installation manual documents the requirements pretty well.

I see that you are in Florida. I would go pay Jesse Saint a visit. I'm sure that Jesse will be more than happy to meet with you and discuss your situation. His shop can assist your with the installation as well.

If you want to fly GPS approaches, then yes, you'll need a GPS that meets the TSO certification for approaches. You'll also need the approach data, which you can only obtain and use with one of the certified GPS units. My recommendation would be an Avidyne GPS, because there are more third party integrations available. Garmin's will work too, but their interfaces are all Garmin proprietary for things like flight plan loading to the EFIS, remote control via the EFIS, etc. If you purchase the GPS unit that also have a comm and nav radio, you can solve all your issues with a single box.

With the HDX you will need to have the Dynon autopilot solution, since Dynon EFIS doesn't fully integrate with the third party AP heads. The Skyview EFIS can't translate the appropriate commands for the ILS and VOR approaches to a third party AP head, such as a Trutrak Vizion. However, it will to the Dynon AP function built into the EFIS.

Yes, the G1000 has it all. Why didn't you buy one? Dynon has never claimed to have a IFR approved navigator of any sort. Why did you assume that?

Lastly, if you add a GTN-650 or something like that, you'll have everything you need and you'll spend a LOT less than buying and installing a G1000

As already stated, adding a GTN-650 or better yet the IDF540 (you can get it for about the same price as the GTN-650) and you will have a minimal IFR bird. I offer however that single screen IFR is not a great way to go. Get a second SkyView EFIS.

You will also need the ARINC module for the parts to talk to each other. Get the Dynon ADS-B in receiver why you are at it.

For the money, a dual screen full up SkyView install is a far better value than the G-1000 or similar. There are a lot of people pressing Dynon to make the SkyView a TSO GPS navigator. The cost of doing that for our small experimental market would kill them. Now if the FAA continues down the road to let Dynon type avionics into Spam Cans, then perhaps they have a path.

Carl

One of the least expensive solutions for IFR capability is the SL30.

If you want to get to GPS approaches, the GNC 300XL will do the job for non-precision approaches. There are some threads on the Dynon forum on how to do this for around $3k. There are also threads there that help explain what it takes to get a box certified for IFR approaches ($$$$$).

Other popular, lower cost options are:

GNS 480(W)
GNS 430(W)
GNS 530W

One of the least expensive solutions for IFR capability is the SL30.

If you want to get to GPS approaches, the GNC 300XL will do the job for non-precision approaches.
W

But, the 300XL is TSO129 (non WAAS) so you also need the SL30 or other nav receiver.

As Carl said, I personally would not be happy with all my marbles in one box.

You need to think in terms of the entire panel: What you need, what you want, what works with what, can you afford it.

GTN625 is the perfect option for the widest usability and cost. Call me and I?ll explain.

Yes indeed, the GTN 625 is the best and most affordable solution. Of course, you could track down a used Garmin 430W if you need ILS and Comm though, in my neck of the woods I've not found an airport with an ILS that doesn't also have an RNAV approach (often higher minimum for now).

Carl

Back