What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front tire shredding

MrNomad

Well Known Member
Two weeks ago I got a flat on the nose wheel of my 9A. I always have a new tube in stock so remedy was fast. However, when I removed the front tire from the rim, I noticed the inner carcass was shredding. It looked like spaghetti hanging from the walls of the interior of the tire. Typically, I keep the front tire @ 40lbs but it's possible that during the slow leak period it was lower.
I sent photos to Desser (tire vendor) but received no reply (thus far) so I am asking for comments what may have caused this.
29frd4.png

11tbfok.png

14rays.png

y18ia.png

Yes, I replaced tire and tube. Thx.

How old is the tire? Landings, low pressure, and other things transmit force through this area that will cause it to "shred"; however, the rubber should absorb these forces and deflections. I believe age is your culprit. If it is a dresser then it was used and re-treaded - possibly multiple times.

Low pressure would cause inside shredding like this one. Seen similar symptoms on a foreign pilot board some years ago.

Tire was two years old

How old is the tire? Landings, low pressure, and other things transmit force through this area that will cause it to "shred"; however, the rubber should absorb these forces and deflections. I believe age is your culprit. If it is a dresser then it was used and re-treaded - possibly multiple times.

Tire was two years old. Considering that I have no way of knowing how many times this particular unit was retreaded, that will be the last retread I buy. The delta between new and old is simply not worth the potential hazard.

Thx for the reply.

Tire was two years old. Considering that I have no way of knowing how many times this particular unit was retreaded, that will be the last retread I buy. The delta between new and old is simply not worth the potential hazard.

Thx for the reply.

I wasn't aware of anyone retreading the tire size that we use for the nose wheel on the RV-7, 8, and 9 A models?

I wasn't aware of anyone retreading the tire size that we use for the nose wheel on the RV-7, 8, and 9 A models?

I can't find a listing for 11/4.00-5 retreads on Desser's site.

...Desser does not recap these nose wheels! Or any brand in this size.
Also, They limit other size casings to only one cycle (1 re-cap). We use their tires when ever possible, and must say they are the most trouble free tires available, new or used. They also are good for two to three times as many landings as any new tire, regardless of the cost. We service or replace five to ten tires daily, so we see them all. Thanks, Allan..:D

Back